Monday, May 23, 2005

A Quarter-Century, Plus One

Michele got me a sweet 5 megapixel digital camera for my birthday. I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, but no more disposable cameras for me. I'll be playing with it all this week, so any pictures I put up in the future will be from the new camera. Maybe I'll even update the Pictures section with a few photos and the long-promised sketches and drawings. You can only look at that coloring book so many times.

I've now seen Revenge of the Sith three times, and I'll probably see it at least one more time in the theater. Not because I'm obsessed with it or anything, I just keep seeing it with different people. The first time, it was just me and Michele. Then it turned out that Mr. Schprock's daughter couldn't go, so he had an extra ticket.

I'm glad I went that second time, not only because I appriciated the movie more the second time, but also because on the train ride home I witnessed some classic crazy person shenanigans. For most of the trip, there was a white-haired man sitting quietly across from me. He looked to be in his sixties, with no distinguishing characteristics that I could see. He looked like everybody's grandfather. But that image quickly evaporated when he appeared to raise his eyebrows at me. At first I shrugged it off. We were at a stop and the doors were open, so maybe it was meant for someone behind me. But then he stood up and walked over to the middle-aged woman sitting next to me and asked, "Do you want me to take me shoes off so you can see my tooooeeeesss?"

That was a little weird, but then he started walking around the car, doing everything he can to make Dennis Rodman look normal. I knew as it was happening that I was witnessing a blog-worthy event, so I found a pen and wrote down his mad ramblings on a newspaper. The first three before he decided to bother the nice people on the other end of the car were:

Take this job and shove it!

Einstein's theory of reading a book!

Looking into the future through someone else's nose!

My brother Ryan hadn't seen the movie yet, so Michele and I went with him on Sunday. My parents were out when we bought the tickets, and we didn't know when they were going to be back, meaning Brianna would have to come with us. She's usually well-behaved in the theater, so that wasn't a problem, but I was a little worried that some of the darker moments in the film might be too much for her. But it didn't affect her at all. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

I know she's not completely desensitized, because the end scene in Gremlins when Stripe melts in the water fountain completely terrified her. As did the part in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Nazi guy's face melts off. I know this because I showed her both of those, not the whole movies, just those particular scenes, when she was acting up one time. I thought it was a pretty good alternative to physical punishment, but I still got in trouble for doing it anyway.

She really is a good kid, but sometimes she just talks too much. she usually comes running into the room and says, "Mommy! Mommy! I have to tell you something. It's important!" And then she says something like, "I saw a dog today, and it was brown." That's not important, important is, "my kidney just ruptured!" She said it at dinner at my parents' house Sunday, and I asked if it was really important. She said no, and then decided not to say anything at all.

But that was even worse, because my curiousity had been piqued. What was she going to say? I really wanted to know, and there was a chance I'd never know because I told her it wasn't important. Crap. It was killing me. I had to know.

I went down stairs and spent about fifteen minutes begging her to tell me what she was going to say. But she just kept giggling and running away. Oh, she's good. But I was determined to get it out of her.

She was watching Spongebob, as she had been for the past twelve hours. Seriously, It was on all freaking day. I don't hate Spongebob, it's just that I've seen all of them 8,000 times now, becase all she ever watches is Nickelodeon. While I was trying to get her to tell me what she was going to say, I looked up at the TV. It's the one were Mr. Krabs keeps the Krusty Krab open 24 hours. How many times can they show ...wait. This isn't the same one. Huh. I hadn't seen this one before. Brianna informed me that it was new, and that her and her mom watched it together on Friday night. I sat on the couch and started watching it. While I was watching, Brianna decided to tell me what she was going to say earlier, except I wasn't paying attention because I was watching the show.

Huh? What? What did you say? Aw, dammit! I'm dying here! I asked her to say it again.

"I said, I don't like strawberries, but I'm going to try those chocolate ones."

Have you ever felt satisfied and disappointed at the same time?

6 comments:

John said...

How about tomorrow?

NYPinTA said...

Happy Birthday.
Now you can take pictures of the crazies that live in Boston. Won't that be fun? Crazy people loooove having their picture taken! Really!

NYPinTA said...

har har. Not in Boston. Silly man.

John said...

I think a better question to ask is, "do birds like you?"

because, well...
http://www.worldoflongmire.com/features/romance_novels/birds.jpg

fakies said...

See? I knew that site would come in handy for you one day! I wish we had public transportation, so I could see freaks every day. Oh wait, that's what sidewalks are for out here.

Good to know you're not scarring Brianna's psyche or anything. At least we won't have to blame you when she burns a house down. "I didn't show her fire, just faces melting off!"

Irb said...

Happy XXVI! The time has come to leap from the precipice of immaturity and plunge, screaming, into the chaotic abyss of manhood. Plus, hey! Cake!

Funny stuff, John. I'll be adding your blog to my daily rounds ;)

Post a Comment