Friday, March 24, 2006

Perspective

Take a look at what's happening in the world around you. Go on, take a look at it. Pretty bleak, huh? No wonder all those Japanese kids are killing themselves. In troubled times, it's easy to just throw your hands up in disgust and say, "Well, I give up," and let yourself be sucked into the downward spiral in which the world is seemingly headed.

But before getting caught up in all that gloom and doom stuff, it's important to take things into perspective. Are we really headed in the wrong direction? Are things really getting worse? I used to think so, right up until this morning.

The elevators at the Prudential Tower have little video screens that flash news updates, weather forecasts, stock reports, sports scores and other information so you have something to do in there other than trying not to make eye contact with the weird guy that got on with you. The current time is displayed at the bottom of the screen, next to the message "You Are Watching Captivate Network." Captivate. See, it's funny because you're literally captive while you're watching it.

I was in the elevator this morning, and after the Channel 7 four-day weather forecast, there was a trivia screen informing me that on this day twenty years ago, the number one movie in the country was Police Academy 3: Back in Training. I don't know about you, but suddenly, I felt much better about times we're living in.

11 comments:

fakies said...

I loved all of the Police Academy movies. They never made me want to kill myself in a car with a bunch of strangers. Now the Ernest movies...

John said...

Especially that last one, Ernest Kills Himself In A Car With A Bunch Of Strangers.

Anonymous said...

I'm another fan of the Police Academy films. Sometimes you just need to watch something to make you laugh and not depressed.

NYPinTA said...

I remember enjoying the Police Academy movies... but even at the tender age of *** I remember thinking, 'why do they keep making these things?' But I want Steve Gutenberg's deputy mayor on Veronica Mars to be the sound effects guy! That would rock.

John said...

You know they're making another one? Lassard's got to look like the Cryptkeeper by now.

LL said...

Well... after they dropped the R-rating the series went straight downhill...


Erm... Steve Guttenberg? Didn't he print a Bible or something?

John said...

Well it was the local weather.
(The trivia wasn't from channel 7, just the weather report. The information on the screen comes from all different sources.)

mr. schprock said...

I'm just glad 2006 hasn't seen another Deuce Bigelow movie. THAT makes me feel good.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I know it was INTENDED to be a stupid movie (wasn't it?), but were they aware of how stupidly they titled that first one? "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo." What other kind of gigolo IS there?

Sorry. Stepping off of John's soapbox now.

Anonymous said...

I love the part in Ernest goes to Jail when he goes, ewwwww. I also like the part in Ernest goes to Camp when he goes, ewwwww, but not as much as when he did it in Ernest Scared Stupid when Ernest goes, ewwwwwww. I dont think you can disagree on that fact.

Shatterfist said...

"Sometimes you just need to watch something to make you laugh and not depressed."

Even I thought that that was dark.

Post a Comment