Friday, July 22, 2005

The Kindness of Strangers

I saw the light at the end of the hall, and I knew the elevator door was open. I also knew that by the time I got to it, the doors would close and I'd have to wait for it to cycle back down again. Well that's just great. Even though our building is only eight floors, it takes like ten minutes for that elevator to get back to the first floor.

But wait...as I got closer, the light remained. Maybe the person in the elevator heard me open the front door and was holding the elevator for me. As I stepped inside, I saw that there was indeed a man holding the "door open" button. Well that was nice of him. See, I knew there were still some decent people in the world.

We nodded at each other, and he let go of the "door open" button. After a few seconds, he pressed it again. No one else had come into the building. Then he pressed it a couple more times in rapid succession. I looked over and pointed to the "door close" button.

"Oh. thanks."

He wasn't actually being nice. He was just stupid.

8 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Well, it worked in your favor though.

fakies said...

My mother is claustrophobic in elevators, so I used to hold the door close button when we were trying to get off and tell her that the doors wouldn't open.

Good times, good times.

John said...

Nice. Your mom would hate this elevator. It fits maybe four people. Skinny people. The doors get stuck from time to time and there's an outdated inspection sticker up in the corner.

NYPinTA said...

Wow trinamick! Now I don't feel so bad that she made you clean toilets. LOL!

fakies said...

Well, she used to call out "Watch out for the axe murderer in the closet!" as I walked down into our dark basement, so she's not completely innocent here.

NYPinTA said...

This revelation explains a lot.

John said...

I'd never seen him before. He was probably a bike messenger who doesn't know much English.

John said...

There were two, and neither one worked. That's why the lady in the wheelchair left. That was really sad.

Post a Comment