Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Original Blue Man Group

I was reading the Metro this morning and on the top of page six were the words "UNICEF BOMBS SMURF VILLAGE," accompanied by a comically apocalyptic image. At first I thought one of the interns over there slipped it in as a joke. Nope.

UNICEF BOMBS SMURF VILLAGE

Die you blue Commie bastards!


Out of an idyllic blue sky dotted with birds and butterflies come warplanes that carpet bomb the Smurfs' forest village, killing Smurfette and leaving Baby Smurf wailing in distress.

The scene from a commercial featuring the cartoon characters is part of a UNICEF ad campaign on Belgian television meant to highlight the plight of ex-child soldiers in Africa. The 20-second clip is meant to show that war can happen in the most innocent of places, a UNICEF spokesman said. (full story)



I know it's wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong. I get what they're saying, but I can't stop laughing. I think it's the fact that Smurfette was actually blown out of her shoe. And the guy running around in the background with his hat on fire...comdey gold. That whole picture just cracks me up. I'm think of setting it as the background on my laptop.

Fantasy Football Update: Week 5
The bad news is, I had Donovan McNabb playing Sunday. The good news is, I also had Drew Bledsoe. So now I'm 5-0 and have the most overall points. But the big news is that Jose finally won! He beat Nick 198-162.

16 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Oh man! I'm with you. That is just freaking hilarious!!

Stellar said...

I only have one comment for that picture:

Peyowned!!!

fakies said...

I laughed my butt off when I read this, and I even emailed it to a Smurf fan. The best part of the entire story was how they had originally wanted to show a Smurf with a missing arm, or one getting its head blown off. That's funny, I don't care who you are!

Michele said...

Well, you proved that Americans could never take the Smurfs seriously for any reason. If anything, we'd find the connection between Smurfs and African child ex-soldiers just baffling.

John said...

Well, you proved that Americans could never take the Smurfs seriously for any reason.

You know, I thought about that after I read it, and then thought I'd put it to the test. So I started to put the smurfs in other situations. Like Papa Smurf telling everyone he had an inoperable brain tumor. And I still laughed my ass off.

Regarding the smurfs and war, I think the obvious thing would have been to make Jokey Smurf a suicide bomber. He practically was anyway. The guy walked around giving people explosives wrapped up with bows. Sicko.

John said...

You've got a better record than Houston. That's got to be good for something, right?

Kathleen said...

I just donated to UNICEF, and I think it was a subconscious thing because I had seen the article on the Smurf commercial earlier this week.

mr. schprock said...

O the humanity!

The smurfity?

I'm getting a clear message that war is bad. Thanks to UNICEF, that is.

NYPinTA said...

You beat MSN by a day with this cartoon.
And it's the talk of cybertown!
http://search.msn.com/news/results.aspx?FORM=MSNHM1&q=Smurf%20ad

Anonymous said...

Wow... you finally updated your blog... I was beginning to wonder if PinTA had taken over or something... :P


I do detect a hint of honey barbeque amongst the smoldering Smurfs, so I guess you were right after all...

John said...

"Wow... you finally updated your blog... I was beginning to wonder if PinTA had taken over or something... :P"

Now that is comedy.

Scott said...

Since Smurfette is the only gal in town, this spells certain extinction for the Smurfs. I'm depressed.

McNabb looked like a chump on Sunday. He missed a few people that were wide open, bouncing passes to their feet. I don't count the pass he missed to Westbrook. Westbrook was open but McNabb had to dump it. I would almost let McNabb off the hook due to injury, but he tore up Kansas City the week before.

I'm hopeful about the boys, but I'll really believe if they can beat the Giants convincingly.

NYPinTA said...

"Wow... you finally updated your blog... I was beginning to wonder if PinTA had taken over or something... :P"

Whatever.

Beth said...

Wow, I really love Africa and that picture is hysterical. It'll be come a new punk poster at Hot Topic. Or a call t-shirt.

Lyvvie said...

I'm thinking your Metro is much, much better than my Metro here in Scotland because we didn't have the flaming Smurfs in our issue (Ok maybe it was and I missed it, it's possible). So unfair as that would've had pride of place on the frige displacing my daughters scribblings.

Nice to see someone from Quincy! I went to Woodward, and Quincy College. Miss it lots and all those friends from days gone by. Bye for now!

Ben O. said...

Go Jose!

Ben O.

Post a Comment