Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Who Am I? Why Am I Here?

I've lost my memory. Well, half my memory. Well, it's not technically my memory. Let me start over.

I'm typing this on my company-issued Powerbook G4 with 15-inch screen, two RAM ports, a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time. This particular model has a defect that can render the lower RAM port unreadable, cutting the speed of the machine in half. When this happened to a couple of the computers here a few years ago, they were taken to the Apple store to be repaired and we checked the rest of them to make sure they were using both RAM slots. Mine checked out all right, so I thought I must have gotten lucky and didn't get one of the defective ones.

About a month ago, I noticed my laptop was running ridiculously slow. Every command was followed by a lengthy appearance by that stupid spinning rainbow. My browser quit constantly, and even the simplest tasks were met with resistance. Clearly, I needed more memory, 512 MB is much too small these days, especially in the graphic design business. I went online and looked for the best deals on memory cards. I found a place where I could get a 1G card for $87, with free shipping. But Joe, who actually speaks in all caps, said "GOOD LUCK GETTING THEM TO BUY IT FOR YOU. THEY ALWAYS TURN ME DOWN WHEN I TELL THEM WE NEED BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH" Interestingly, when I first mentioned finding a cheap place online, he suggested I email our IT guy to see what I should do. I told him I was pretty sure we get charged every time we email him with a question. Joe said he didn't think so, which explains why our employer is always griping about the exorbitant IT bills.

Still, I knew it would be a hard sell to ask for more RAM, since everyone else was getting by with what they had, but my computer was barely functioning and affecting my work. Then, by chance, last week I clicked on "About this Mac" and discovered that my computer wasn't running slow because it only had 512 MB of RAM, but because it only had 256 MB of RAM. 256! It's like I'd been transported to 1997!

Checking the system preferences confirmed that the lower port was shown as being empty. After all this time (and after the warranty conveniently expired) the defect finally kicked in. Super.

Joe said, "TAKE THE APPLE CARE CARD AND GO DOWN TO THE STORE! THEY'LL FIX IT! HASSAN CHOP!"

The Apple Care card, which is expired, wouldn't have done me much good anyway, since all it does is bump you up to the front of the line if there's a wait. But I did go to the Apple Store on Friday. I was hoping they would fix the problem for free, since they did that for the other computers a few years ago and there's a whole page about it on Apple's website, but no dice. They said that the warranty on the laptop had expired which voided whatever free stuff I would otherwise be entitled to. They did offer three solutions. The first was to get the motherboard replaced, which would set the company back a grand and leave me without a computer for a couple of days. The second option was to send it to their "depot" for at least a week, during which time they'll fix any and all problems with the computer for a flat rate of $320. The final option was to say, "Screw the lower RAM slot!" and just put more memory in the upper one. I went with that one.

So I reported my findings when I got to work Monday morning, and given the other two options, my boss was happy to go with option 3. So I went back to the website I found that had the memory for $87 with free shipping, but Joe, well, Joe orders everything from our sales rep at a certain retailer, thinking the guy gives us deals. He kept saying "I'LL SAVE YOU THE HASSLE OF USING THE COMPANY CREDIT CARD! I'LL JUST CALL WHAT'S HIS NAME BECAUSE WE HAVE AN ACCOUNT!" I was too busy and tired to object, so Joe made the call. In the end, going through what's-his-name we have an account with cost about $150, versus the $87 I'd originally priced out. Good thing we have Joe and his connections to help us save money, am I right?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ugh, just ugh.

And yeah, he really does speak in all caps.

UGH

LL said...

Hmmm... well, losing your memory does explain your prolonged absence around these parts...

Have you ever thought about just giving up Macs altogether?

"And yeah, he really does speak in all caps."

That's what SHE said!

John said...

The whole graphic arts industry uses them. It's a scam I say!

Actually, I like using both Macs and PCs regularly, so I don't fall out of the loop with either one of them. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

LL said...

Hey! Maybe you ought to submit your story to those PC and Mac commercials. I'm sure they'd have a clever answer for you.

John said...

Hey, I just noticed Macs backwards is "scam". Also, Tums backwards is smut. That's weird. But the Mac thing, I don't remember if I mentioned this before and I don't feel like going back to check, but Apple sells a special AV cable so you can plug your video iPod into your TV to watch videos on a bigger screen. The cord is like forty bucks. But all they did was switch the Red and Yellow cables and hoped no one would notice, so you can use ANY AV cable, just plug the red end into the yellow hole and vice-versa. Those sneaky bums. I'm glad they didn't hire me. I wouldn't be able to let anyone by the 40 dollar cable.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they're just using Joeconomics?

fermicat said...

John could play both the Mac and the PC guy in the new commercials! Think of all the money Apple would save. Maybe they could make their computers cost the same as a PC... of course, that would greatly reduce their snob appeal and probably drive down sales.

John said...

I actually had a new post yesterday, but it's not letting me post it. I keep getting "Your publish is taking longer than expected." It's just a couple of paragraphs.

John said...

Can anyone see the main page? Like, if you're not on a specific post, just random-squeegee.com. I can't post anything new, and the main page shows up as some Geocities crap. What the hell is going on?

Post a Comment