Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Majority of People Are Unusual

This lands in my inbox every once in a while, but for some reason, this time I started thinking about it, specifically the first paragraph:

Fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Okay, it says that only 55% of people can read this, but then it explains that it doesn't matter what order the letters are in, the human brain will still be able to read them. So shouldn't anyone be able to read it? Wasn't that the point of the second paragraph? Also, 55 out of 100 is the majority, so wouldn't the 45 who couldn't read it be the ones with strange minds? Why would the majority, who's brains work just fine according to the Cambridge University study sited in email, be the one's with strange minds? I knid fo gte hte isrimeposn ttha eht 55% nebmur wsa peluld uto fo sooneme's sas.

7 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Hmm. The percentage crap never occured to me. I don't think it's ever occured to anyone but you. So it's THAT that makes you wierd. Yay.

LL said...

I still think there's something wrong with your blog... for some reason some of the letters are all scrambled up.

You might want to look into that...

fakies said...

I've seen the message before, but never with that little fact included. But, as you know, 76% of statistics are made up.

NYPinTA said...

But only 15% of the time.

Anonymous said...

When I first looked at the scrambled letters, I thought it was spanish and looked right past them

Tony Gasbarro said...

It could also mean that most people are used to reading through their own horrific typos that everyone can read every imaginable mangling of a word....

Selena said...

Hmmm, It seems taht I am one of the odd ploepe who had no trbloue rindaeg it at all. Ptiy my rpley had olny terhe and fuor lteter wrdos in it!
The wrod I had to tpye was a taotl mdlude.
Waht dsoe yuor bairn mkae of tihs?

sfduki???

Post a Comment