Thursday, June 22, 2006

Nevermind

There's a big truck outside, pumping water out of the parking garage next door. It's making a very loud humming noise, and it's annoying everyone in the office. Except me. I kind of like it. It reminds me of when I was a little kid, and my parents would vacuum during the weekend. I always liked that sound. Not when it first turned on; that part was always abrupt and loud, but after that when, it had been going for a while and became a background hum. Sometimes I'd be watching cartoons, and I'd turn the TV way up so I could hear it over the vacuum, but most of the time the TV was off and there was a tape in the stereo. To this day, Cyndi Lauper reminds me of vacuuming. As does Air Supply and that song Gloria. Not G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria, but the one that woman sang in the eighties.

The vacuum humming was relaxing, and I was always a little bummed out when it stopped. I'm going to miss the noise outside the window, too.

Anyway, I was going to ask a question today. And I still am, so here it is...

What the hell is a cow?

I mean, the females are called cows and the males are called bulls, but what is the name of the species? One of the first things you learn as a kid is the names of animals, and the See 'N Say groups "cow" with "dog" and "cat." But unlike dogs and cats, cows refer specifically to one gender. There's no such thing as a male cow or a female bull. Not to mention cow and bull is used to describe the sexes of a bunch of different animals, like moose, elephants and whales. So what are the things we get our milk and Salisbury steak from officially called? Sure, they're of the genus bos and the subfamily bovinea, but that's not their name. Nobody says C. l. familiaris; they just say "dog."

I said I was going to ask that, because apparently the answer is cattle. It doesn't sound quite right though. I always thought of cattle as a group, but you wouldn't use it to describe just one, like, "Hey, look! A cattle!" So what's the singular noun for cattle? According to the wikipedia article, there isn't one, however both male and female cattle can be referred to as "ox." So dairy cows are oxen?

But the same article says the term "ox" is generally reserved for adult castrated male cattle. I just assumed oxen were a different type of animal within the same family, like the difference between wolves and domesticated dogs. But what do I know, I'm hardly an expert on cattle, oxen, or whatever the hell they are.

Regardless of the proper terminology, cows are female. Somehow that got overlooked when they were making Barnyard. The trailer's been around since at least last summer. It's a movie about cows with guys' voices walking around on two legs with their udders flapping around. That's just wrong on so many levels. Kevin James squirting milk out of his udders is enough to put a kid in therapy for the rest of their life. I still can't figure out how this movie got from pre-production all the way to completion without anyone saying, "Shouldn't we get some actresses to play these cows, or make them bulls maybe?"

I suppose you could say that you're already suspending your belief enough to accept that the cows can talk and stand on their hind legs in the first place, what's wrong with suspending it a bit more? Well to that I say, "My believe can only be suspended so much before it snaps, sir!" Anthropomorphized cows are one thing, but getting their genders wrong? That was the straw that broke the cattle's back.

10 comments:

Shatterfist said...

You could always refer to them as "bovines". That was a common term in The Far Side strips.

Don't be amazed by the male udders. When I read "James and the Giant Peach" in fourth grade, I had to convince my teacher (who was a full-grown adult), as well as the entire class, that rhinos don't eat human flesh.

NYPinTA said...

We had a Wino Rhino. Rode around on the dash of Henry's car throughout most of High School.

And they are bovines. I think. Geez, how do you think up this stuff???

John said...

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!

fakies said...

All I know is you're a piss-poor rancher, LL.

Oh, wait. Sorry, wrong blog. It makes much more sense now.

We call them all cows. Unless it's a bull. A gaggle of them we refer to as cattle. Except it's not a gaggle. It's a herd.

Oh, and the sound of the vacuum reminds me of rainy days and Lynn Anderson skipping on my mom's record player.

"I beg your pardon...I beg your pardon...I beg your pardon...I beg your pardon...I never promised you a rose garden..."

John said...

I'm just waiting for him to mosey on over here and start with the, "Oh, you city slickers and your not knowing about cows."

mr. schprock said...

Have you tried calling companies that actually deal with cows, like Gateway? Maybe they know.

LL said...

Oh, you city slickers and your not knowing about cows...

Actually, I think you pretty well covered all the bases. In case you were wondering about the rest of the differences:
A heifer is a female who hasn't given birth. Once they give birth, they're usually referred to as a cow.
A bull still has possession of the family jewels. Remove the jewels and he becomes a steer. Eat the jewels, and you've had Rocky Mountain Oysters...
One side effect from removing a steer's manhood is that a steer never stops growing. Most are raised for eating and are converted to steaks at around 1200 lbs. In olden days, there were some large steers that were kept for working and they were called Oxen. Because they never stopped growing, there are some that I've seen pictures of from Wisconsin or Minnesota that topped out at 2000 and 2100 lbs.
Horns don't designate sex. Some breeds of cattle have horns, some do not. The ones that do not are called Polled cattle.
Chocolate milk comes from brown cows.
Cows wear leather.
Most cattle don't sweat, they pant like a dog. Beefalo cattle (Buffalo/Cattle cross)do sweat.

There... all a piss poor rancher ever needs to know... :P

Tony Gasbarro said...

And a "dog" is a canine, where a "dog" is the male and a "bitch" is the female. When discussing canine breeding, the male is the "sire" and the female is the "dam." And when differentiating between two bitches, the one who has bred is the "dam bitch."

tee hee... okay, I made that last one up!!

And is perhaps the reason a vacuum reminds you of Cyndi Lauper, Air Supply and the non-G-L-O-R-I-A Gloria song that they ALL SUCK?

(tee hee!)

fakies said...

Mountain Oysters are delicious. But they don't taste like chicken.

John said...

"Mountain Oysters are delicious. But they don't taste like chicken."

Gross.

I somehow forgot to list Gloria Loring on the housecleaning playlist. But I remembered tody, when my dad played the tape all the way through twice consecutively when we were cleaning today.

Post a Comment