Friday, June 16, 2006

It's Friday!

Wow, this is some Friday, huh? Yup. Some Friday. I can't wait for the weekend that hasn't happened yet. I hope I see a snapping turtle and a Pink Floyd laser show. That'd be neat.

When I left work yesterday, (you know, Thursday) I saw a CBS Channel 4 News truck drive by, followed by a couple of police cars. Some people standing on the sidewalk turned their heads, and I even saw a couple of guys running to see what was going on. Obviously I had no choice but to check it out and see what was going on.

I turned the corner onto Boylston Street and heard music and a muffled voice over a loudspeaker. It sounded like it was coming from the other end of the garden. As I approached the other end of the block, I saw a cheering crowd lined up along both sides of Charles Street and the muffled voice became more clear. The voice was announcing a name and a time, followed by another name and time. Then I remembered those guys that were running. I think they had numbers on their shirts. It was a race. The JPMorgan Chase Corporate Challenge, and those two guys must have had a pretty good lead on the rest of the pack, because I didn't notice any other runners until I tried to cross the street. That's when they all came pouring in.

I kept looking for breaks in-between runners so I could cross the street. I couldn't just cut in front of somebody and screw up their finishing time. So I waited for my chance. There were a couple of times where I probably could have gone, but I took too long to figure out if I had enough time to run across the street. I called my mom to tell her I was going to be late because I couldn't cross the street. I wasn't about to wait for 12,000 people to cross the finish line, so I walked up the street to find where the race ended so I could cross the street.

I'd never been at a finish line of a race before. And now that I have, I can safely say that it's not one of my top five favorite smells.

3 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Wow. What an amazing friday you had!

fakies said...

I really think you should have jumped into the middle of the race and headed for the finish line. Once you beat everyone else, you could shout, "And I'm not even tired! Can you believe that?"

John said...

Somehow that reminded me of the scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he dresses like a nun and grabs his bike in the middle of filming.

Rusty: Good-bye, Mother Superior.

Mother Superior: Good-bye, Rusty. And God bless you.

Rusty: Thank you Mother Superior, I want the orphanage to have my bike.

Mother Superior: No, Rusty. You sold a lot of magazine subscriptions to earn that bike.

Rusty: But I want to give. I've just received the two best parents a boy could ever hope for.

Mother Superior: Rusty, you are an inspiration to us all.

Pee Wee as Nun: I'll say. I'm going to start a paper route right now.



I think my mind is broken.

Post a Comment