Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Wally

Last night I walked into the kitchen and found Michele standing in front of the stove making some kind of tofu noodle stir-fry thing. She poured it into a bowl, brought it into the dining room and started eating it with chopsticks. She said she'd been dreaming of it all day, whatever it was. I thought it was a pretty weird thing to dream about, and briefly thought of mentioning the dream I had one time where I was in a buddy cop movie with a talking turkey on the run from the mob. I ultimately decided it wasn't the right time for that particular conversation and went over to the refrigerator to get a drink.

On the refrigerator door, there was an interesting drawing.

this guy's a nut


Brianna was already asleep, so I couldn't ask her about it. My mom said she draws Wally all the time. It's great that she creates these little characters, but that picture kind of freaks me out, and not just because he looks like a rocky mountain oyster.

Wally is five years old, but he was born in 1983 and has wings and a halo. Maybe I've seen one too many movies where a little kid's imaginary friend turns out to be a ghost, but that picture's a little creepy. Where did she get that date from? Did Wally tell her? Why does she keep drawing someone who apparently died eighteen years ago?

I slept with the blankets over my head.

17 comments:

Michele said...

She was asking me this morning where her picture of Wally was as I was packing my lunch. I didn't bother telling her that John took it so he could write about her and try to convince everyone that there's something wrong with my baby!

I asked her about Wally and who he was supposed to be.

"Well, he's from my imagination."

"That's pretty cool, honey. Why does he have that birthday on the picture?"

"I don't know, I just made it up. Miss Debbie said that 1983 is the year Ryan was born too."

"Hmm. That's interesting sweatheart. You have a very good imagination."

"Yep."

John said...

I'll have to ask Ryan if he went to kindergarten with a kid named Wally who died somehow. And might have looked like a meatball.

fakies said...

I was going to say that he looked like Meatball of Cartoon Network, but I guess that's already been covered.

Just watch out if she tells you Wally doesn't like you anymore.

mr. schprock said...

Do you think she has "the shining"?

John said...

"I was going to say that he looked like Meatball of Cartoon Network, but I guess that's already been covered."

Ah, but Meatwad doesn't have legs. Wally kind of looks like one of the fry guys from the old McDonald's commercials if you shaved it bald. I always wondered what was under all that...hair...or whatever it was supposed to be.

"Do you think she has "the shining"?"
I can't say for certain, but yes.

Anonymous said...

I'm watching you!

--Wally

LL said...

"and not just because he looks like a rocky mountain oyster."

He doesn't look anything like a rocky mountain oyster. I'll post a pic of them one day, and you'll see the difference.

Shatterfist said...

WHAT! Don't you remember ol' Meatball Wally"?

"I'll post a pic of them one day, and you'll see the difference."

Please don't.

John said...

"Please don't."
I concur.

John said...

I guess you could say we don't have the balls. But again, please don't.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I didn't know rocky mountain oysters had wings, halos, and argyle socks, having never seen one myself.

Shatterfist said...

"What a bunch of wimps"

He's right. It's only manly to compare testicle sizes.

Scott said...

I think this ties into your bird invasion post somehow. This is not a coincidence.

LL said...

"He's right. It's only manly to compare testicle sizes."

Erm... I beg to differ on that one. It might be what you guys do for fun out there, but out here we like to remain blissfully ignorant. Besides you don't compare sizes of rocky mountain oysters... you either cook them for yourself or feed 'em to the dog. Either way, size rarely enters into the equation.

John said...

The social pages say I've got
the biggest balls of all.

fakies said...

I thought that was Oprah.

And I meant Meatwad, not Meatball. It sounded right in my head.

NYPinTA said...

How does the word "meatwad" ever sound right?

So, uh, the day you saw that scary apparition you posted about previously... you didn't piss of Brianna earlier that day, did you? Not that I think the two are related... really. But maybe you shouldn't make her cry anymore. Just an idea.

Post a Comment