Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Only One That Could Ever Reach Me

Yesterday I asked Brianna how she likes Nash school. She's very excited about first grade. She told me her teacher is reading the book Because of Winn-Dixie to the class. They're only about ten pages in, but she gave me a summary of what's happened so far.

"The girl has no mother and her father is a creature, but she's just a person."
Her father's a creature? I know virtually nothing about the book, except there's a girl and a dog, and that it was made into a movie earlier this year, but I'm pretty sure that didn't sound right. Then again, maybe her father died and came back as the dog. Didn't that happen in some book? Or am I thinking of that movie where Michael Keaton is reincarnated into a snowman?

"Wait. Her father is a creature?" I asked.

"Yeah. Her dad's a creature and he goes to church."

Ah. There we go.

"Preacher. Her dad is a preacher."

"Preacher? What's that?"

"It's like a priest. You know, they guy that goes up and talks on Sundays."

"Oh. Well, her mom didn't like being a creature's wife."

"Preacher!"

"Oh yeah...preacher...Why didn't she like being a preacher's wife?"

"I don't know. Because a preacher is always at the church and doesn't get to spend much time with his family."

"Oh. Like your dad. Is he a preacher?"

"Not really. But...yeah, sort of, I guess."

This entire conversation took place while she was taking a bath, and since I'm still not really comfortable seeing little naked people, I spend most of the time staring at the towels stacked in the closet.

I hope she'll still be interested in the story when the teacher picks up where she left off today. For ten pages, she thought it was about a girl whose mother left because her father was a creature. That's kind of a tough act to follow. I can only imagine what was going through her head...

Look out behind you!


Alright, since I haven't been able to post much lately, and because Scott's comment reminded me of it, here's a bonus Brianna story, you lucky bastards:

One day Audioslave's Doesn't Remind Me was playing in the car and I heard this little voice singing along in the background. It was the cutest thing ever. Later, she sang Dragula, which was a little less cute.

That weekend, we were in my mom's car. This time, Queen's We Will Rock You / We Are the Champions was on.

"Hey, I know this song! They play good songs at night!" Brianna said, and she started singing along. My mom was impressed.

"She always does that. You should have been there the other day when she was singing Rob Zombie."

Sensing we were talking about her, Brianna's ears perked up. I swear, whenever that girl hears her name, she turns into Barth from You Can't Do That on Television.

What do you think's in the burgers?


"I heard that!"

"I wasn't saying anything bad. I was just saying you were singing a Rob Zombie song the other day. You probably don't even know what song that was."

"Yeah I do! It's the one about burning through the witches."

Fantasy Football Update: Week 1
The Dingleberries are 1-0, ranked third with 185 points. Not bad, considering I had the fewest "projected" points going in. Not to mention I lost Javon Walker for the rest of the season. Lousy Green Bay.

Oh, and Jose's fifth-ranked MI6 are 0-1.

24 comments:

Scott said...

Well it's a good thing you got to the bottom of that misunderstanding! Kids are so funny; they say and do things unintentionally. Our kids are getting more personality all the time; they dance to music and like the same songs that we do. Amazing what an enhancement they are to life, and not the ball and chain that so many are afraid of.

Two words: Patrick Crayton. Mark it. He's going to be a bigger threat the Peerless.

John said...

Your comment reminded me of another story, so I had to go back and add it to the post.

As for Crayton, I was seriously considering picking him up, especially after Walker got himself all crippled up, but I went with Larry Fitzgerald from Arizona instead. Nothing against Crayton, it's just that you don't want to have too many people from the same team on your roster, or you'll get screwed when that team has a bye week.

fakies said...

You don't like seeing little naked people? Got something against nude midgets? Always hatin'...

My nephew used to sing along with every song his mom played. I started to worry about his orientation when I heard "I am woman, hear me roar..." from the backseat.

Chloe said...

Awww, Brianna sounds like a cutie pie.

Anonymous said...

"oh" all i get is an "oh"? yeah i'm 0-1 but at least the Cowboys won.

John said...

You'll get more than an "oh" when your record is more than an "oh."

But yeah, the Cowboys won, just like I said they would. It didn't look good at first. The offensive line was terrible in the beginning there, and I lost some points when that horrible snap by the center was unfairly ruled a fumble by Bledsoe. Still, I ended up with more points from him then I got from McNabb.

mr. schprock said...

Awesome Photoshop work on the bookcover! Seamless, like the dog was always there.

Michele said...

"Awww, Brianna sounds like a cutie pie."

Yep, that's my baby girl. :D During this whole summer, she'd come with me on my afternoon newspaper route and I listen to the rock station here, WAAF in Boston. So, she's being properly schooled in the right music! ;)

Anonymous said...

McNabb may be out for sunday's game.

John said...

Maybe his mom can suit up and play in his place.

Anonymous said...

Which mom? He has a different one each season

John said...

No, just two.

"This will be Donovan McNabb's fifth year starring in Chunky commercials and the fourth year they feature his mother, a registered nurse who complained that she could play herself better than the actress who portrayed her in the 2001 campaign."

I'd go with his real mom. She's sassy and doesn't take no guff from nobody.

Anonymous said...

"During this whole summer, she'd come with me on my afternoon newspaper route and I listen to the rock station here, WAAF in Boston. So, she's being properly schooled in the right music! ;)"

Your quite the good mother JG...

Jenn said...

i didnt see winn dixie and am not intrested in it; however i was a fan of you cant do that on television and that is where alanis moorsette (sp) got her start, she was the fat chic.

John said...

She wasn't the fat chick. That was Christine (Moose). Alanis was...well, just Alanis.

Michele said...

"Your quite the good mother JG... "

Being sarcastic, LL?

John said...

She is a good mother. But me, I'm one bad mother--shut your mouth!

NYPinTA said...

I think that teacher is reading the unrated version of Winn Dixie.

My nephew liked Soundgarden when he was a baby. Now he has ADD. I'm not saying the two are realated...

NYPinTA said...

realated
That is supposed to be related. *sigh*

John said...

I think when you were a baby you listened to Eddie Lee and the Bad Spelers.

NYPinTA said...

Ha. But that was a typo, not an incorrectly spelled word. There's a difference... really.

Sam said...

Um... where's my mac n cheese? Thank you for taking me back to "You Can Do That on Television". I loved that show. I was goodness personified. If goodness can be personified, that is...

John said...

You mean this macaroni and cheese?

Kathleen said...

I've read Because of Winn-Dixie and I thought it was a very good story. I have not see the movie.

Post a Comment