Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Hang In There

There's nothing like 96 hours of disaster relief coverage to make your own problems seem like minor inconveniences. I saw a guy on TV the other day that was desperately trying to find his wife and three grandchildren, and suddenly having to sleep on my parents' couch didn't seem so bad.

Slightly less depressing (okay, a lot less depressing) then all the heartbreaking news stories was the commercial I saw for the Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition. How could that movie have come out ten years ago?! How did that happen?! I feel old now.

Well, on the bright side, football season starts on Thursday. Last year, Nick and Jose were part of a fantasy football league with some guys from Best Buy. I'd been hearing more and more about fantasy leauges over the past few years, but I never really understood what they were. It sounded like something that involved twenty-sided die.

Fantasy Football

As the weeks went on, it started to make a bit more sense, even though I still don't really understand how the points work. They seemed to be having fun, though, and I wanted to try it for myself. So this year I'm giving it a shot. We had our live draft two weeks ago. If you're unfamiliar with the whole process, basically you take turns picking who you want on your team from a list of available players. Kind of like how we used to pick teams for kickball in fourth grade. Everyone picks two quarterbacks, three wide recievers, two running backs, two tight ends, two kickers, two guys that can be either wide recievers or running backs, and two teams' defenses. It's only a six team leaugue, so no one really got saddled with bottom of the barrel type guys, but I was still in the middle of packing up the apartment when we had the draft, so some of my choices were a bit hurried. So ever since then I've been adding and dropping players like crazy, trying to fill out my roster with the best players available. So long, Jim Kleinsasser. Hello, Jeb Putzier.

In the battle of players with silly names, I dumped Plaxico Burress in favor of Peerless Price, while Price was still in limbo. I figured he'd have to land somewhere before the season started, and I was a little weary of Plexiglass only because he'll be catching throws from Eli Manning. Who knows, maybe Eli will do better this year, but it sure looks like he's the Billy Carter of the Manning family. Jose added Burress to his roster a few days later, and with my luck, the guy's going to have a career season.

Anyway, I named my team the Dingleberries. Why Dingleberries? Well, I don't expect to be at the top of the standings every week, but hopefully I'll be able to hang on long enough to get into the playoffs. I wanted to use a customized logo, but Yahoo only lets you use one of their generic football helmets, or some kind of creepy winking Backstreet Boy. That stinks, because I wanted to draw up a liitle graphic of a berry in a football helmet, or at least put up the team's motto:

hang in there


So there you go. I'll keep you updated on how my team is doing each week. And as long as he's doing worse than me, I'll keep you updated on Jose's team, too. We're going head-to-head week 4.

Now...about the Disgusting Girl blog. From what I saw on this site, DG found out about the blog and Madman, the guy who wrote it, was fired. How did she find out, you ask? Madman had his blog set up to send him an email every time some one leaves a comment. I have mine set up the same way, but he had it go his work email rather than a private one. So when he went on vacation a few weeks ago, he had his auto-reply message on, and everyone (including me) that commented on his blog during that time got an auto-reply email with his name, the name of the company he worked for, the address and the phone number. I'm sure he wasn't thinking about his blog when he set up the auto-reply, but it was a HUGE mistake on his part to have an his comments go to his work email. So basically, I'm guessing someone got an auto-reply and decided to be a dick and called the company.

Every trace of Madman is gone, even his other blog that was just a list of other people's blogs. According to Cassy, someone called the number from the email and was informed that he was terminated. Someone else said that he posted a comment on her blog saying he was almost fired and that she was to remove the comment as soon as she read it. I hope he didn't really get fired over this. But either way, it doesn't look like he'll be writing about DG anymore. So many questions were left unanswered. Will DG and Tiny get married? What's going to happen with her lawsuit? And what about poor little Pope? I can understand that DG is upset, and she has every right to be. But she can't just leave us all hanging, we were there for her whole pregnancy, for crying out loud! And possibly even the conception. She could at least start her own blog and pick up where Madman left off.

Well, I think we all learned a thing or two from this. I just hope Ted, the annoying guy I work with, never finds my site. You know, Ted?

16 comments:

fakies said...

Good. I can always use a couple of bucks.

John said...

I'm going to finish it when I get home. I swear. You think I want you people chasing me all over the place shouting "I want my two dollars!"

Scott said...

Naw, you'd be better off dead.

Anonymous said...

Niiiice...

John said...

There, I posted something new, and now none of your comments make any sense. Ha ha!

fakies said...

Nice name change to protect the obnoxious. But it just doesn't have the same ring to it when I say, "I know Ted." *sigh*

NYPinTA said...

How about Jed? Would that work?

I feel bad for Madman, but at least he doesn't have to work with DG anymore. That's got to be a plus, right?

PS- I'M NOT OLD!

Chloe said...

Jeb Putzier? For serious? I'm still laughing. Outstanding logo, BTW.

John said...

Putzier's my third-string TE, after Daniel Graham and Bubba Franks.

Scott said...

John - Did you keep Peerless Price once he landed in Dallas? I love Dallas by the way, but he will be a third reciever at best, but you never know. I see good things happening this year for the boys. Fantasy football is an addiction that I have been wisely steering clear from. My friends have all lost interest in individual teams, and I've been a boys fan since I was a boy. I can't risk it dammit!

John said...

Well, crap. I had this whole long answer, but somehow it went to Scott's email address instead of here. Lousy rotten technology. Anyway, I can't get it now and I'm not going to type it all over again.

John said...

Oh, hey, here it is.

"I actually picked him because I thought he would end up in Dallas. I've got him on the bench right now, if Dallas ends up using him regularly, I'll sit someone else and put him in.

My main quarterback is McNabb, and my other two are Warner and Bledsoe. I got a lot of crap for picking Bledsoe, but I like his chances now that he's in the NFC. Plus he's back with Parcells, Glenn, and now Price. Go ahead and laugh, but I think they'll do very well this year, and I'm not even a Cowboys fan (Jose is, though, big time)

So the question now is, who's my second quarterback, Bledsoe or Warner? Everyone's picking the Cardinals over the Giants and the San Diego over Dallas, but I've got this feeling I should stick with Bledsoe. Yeah, the Chargers were 12-4 division champs last year and they're playing at home, but they'll be playing without their top reciever and who's to even say they
can repeat last year's performance? I say Dallas will upset San Diego. There. I said it.

And even though I picked him, I still think Warner's a risky choice. All I hear is how Arizona's supposed
to be good this year. Well, we'll see about that. If Bledsoe implodes after a couple of weeks and Warner
is as good as he's supposed to be, I can always switch them around."

ExBF said...

My ex called it 'Fairy-tale football". I always kinda dug that....

Scott said...

After watching last nights game, I think you should pick up Patrick Crayton. He had some clutch plays last year. Every time he touched the ball it was for a critical conversion. I know we won because of three penalties, but we still did it. I can't tell you how pumped I am.

Ben O. said...

Too bad about Madman - I know how you feel about getting older though.

I too cannot believe that Toy Story is 10 years old. (He types as Whitesnake plays in the background.)

Ben O.

Kathleen said...

Thanks for the update on Madman. I was wondering what had happened to him.

Post a Comment