Friday, March 18, 2005

Get Thee to a Doctor

I just got back from Viga, which, according to the box they gave me, is an Italian eatery and caterer. I went there to get a slice of pizza and a soda, as I've done several times before without incident. But this time...this time was different.

As I reached in with my left hand to pick up a can of soda, I felt a weird sensation in my wrist and looked down to see the bones in my thumb jump out of place under the skin. I don't know any other way to explain it. There was a big lump were the thumb meets the palm that shifted forward towards that fleshy area between the thumb and index finger, and it left a huge gap in my wrist.

It got stuck that way for about thirty seconds, then sort of went back into place, but the gap remained. It wasn't pleasant.

I called my mom, who said to go to the emergency room. But it didn't hurt or anything. Scared the hell out of me, but it didn't hurt. However, my whole hand has been shaking since I got back. I can still move my thumb around, but when I hold both my hands up, you can see that the thumb of the left hand sticks out farther than the one on the right. And the area on my palm where the thumb and index finger meet is all red.

It's probably been about half an hour now, and the shaking has gone down. It seems to be fixing itself, and in another hour or so might go completely back to normal, so I don't know what good trying to show it to a doctor would do. My thumb just dislocated itself for no reason whatsoever. That's new.

7 comments:

fakies said...

Uhh, that doesn't sound quite normal. Go to a doctor. While you're at it, get me a prescription for codeine.

John said...

It seems perfectly fine now. Even the creepy hole in my wrist is gone.

Sometimes when I stretch, one of my toes gets locked in place and won't move. It's always pointing down whenever it happens, so I can't walk on it. It pops back after a few minutes. I think this was the same deal, although with a few new features. Maybe I should spray some WD40 on myself or something.

NYPinTA said...

Go go gadget thumb dislocation...


Even though it doesn't hurt, you should probably have someone look at it.

John said...

But it's back to normal now.
It's like saying "She turned me into a newt!...I got better."

mr. schprock said...

Give up soda. There — problem solved.

Anonymous said...

Very scary and creepy indeed. Despite everything healing itself, you should still see a doctor. I mean, what with the toe business and now this thing with your thumb.

...Were you drinking your soda under a full moon?

Anonymous said...

If it turns green or falls off, have it checked.

Post a Comment