Wednesday, April 08, 2009

R.I.P.: Warren G. Skye

Most of you have never heard of Warren G. Skye. To be honest, I never really knew exactly who he was, either. I guess I thought he was one of those quasi-celebrities whose fifteen minutes of fame were up before I was even born, like etiquette guru Annie Cavanagh. He could have also been a politician, possibly British; I just didn't know.

I feel bad now for not giving poor Warren much thought. Did he have a family? What's he been up to lately? It never crossed my mind. Really, the only time I ever thought about him at all was every once in a while when I heard his name on the radio. But no more.

Today, in a Shamaylanian twist, I found out there is no Warren G. Skye. Or, if there was, the Cars never mentioned him in Bye Bye Love, off their eponymous 1978 debut album. I'm still a bit too shaken up to accept that he's gone. All this time, I thought it was:

It's Warren G. Skye...
Oh wait, is it some other guy?


But it turns out the actual line is:

It’s an orangy sky
Always it’s some other guy


Orangy sky? What the hell does that mean? At least mine made sense. A part of me died today.

So long, Warren. Or should I say bye bye love? No, so long is sufficient.

13 comments:

Stellar said...

Sorry for your loss. Perhaps a little Bob Dylan will help.

"The ants are my friends, they're blowing in the wind"

LL said...

So sad... Do you suppose he was wrapped up like a douche when he went?

John said...

I'm almost certain of it.

mr. schprock said...

Now I'm starting to worry about Reverend Bluejeans. How can I get in touch with Neil Diamond?

NYPinTA said...

Posted about your heinous crime.

LL said...

Wow... you gonna take that accusation lying down?

NYPinTA said...

Notice he isn't denying it? Pusher.

LL said...

So did JG wake you up with tales of Dom DeLouise's death this morning?

John said...

"So did JG wake you up with tales of Dom DeLouise's death this morning?"

Yes. Also, I have a post in me. But it won't come out. I need some blog magnesium.

LL said...

Erm... magnesium? Do you mean magnesia as in milk of magnesia?

fakies said...

Oh c'mon, we don't even get a post about nudie David Carradine dying while trussed up like a turkey? Someone is seriously falling down on the job around here.

fakies said...

No pressure, but I think I have actually posted twice since you have. Take some immodium, and give us a little bloggarhea.

John said...

I guess I should write something new on Monday. It's not like I'll be doing anything else...

Post a Comment