Friday, January 11, 2008

Why I'm Afraid of Clowns, Part II

Clown hunt
Cave paintings recently discovered in Lascaux depicting a Clown Hunt

Clowns. Clowny clown clowns. Man has feared clowns since the dawn of time. Whether we're pitting them against our super heroes, or turning them into sewer-dwelling giant spiders, man has looked to clowns as inspiration for dredging up our darkest fears.

But clowns are funny, you say? Clowns are harmless. Well then, riddle me this: whenever you think of circus clowns, what song instantly plays in your head. It goes something like this "Do do doodle-oo do do do do do...", right? Do you know what that song is called?

Entry of the Gladitors by Julius Fucik, a Czech military orchestra composer. The clowns are mounting an army. On Bozo's command, unleash Hell.

Incidentally, if you've ever wondered the name of a classical piece that you always hear in movie trailers or when Jerry is setting Tom's tail on fire, check out kickassclassical.com.

9 comments:

LL said...

"The clowns are mounting an army."

That's what makes it so funny!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Trick and I just wanted to let you know that the clown war has already happened. We filmed it last summer. See Clownhunt.com for more details about this feature length movie

Irb said...

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad."
-Jack Handey

John said...

It already happened? Did we win? Was Jack Handey's dad avenged?

fermicat said...

Clowns were scary before there were movies with scary clowns? I did not know that.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Scary clowns? Isn't one of those our president?

Kathleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathleen said...

What's with the clown obsession of late? Michele give you a clown doll for Christmas?

I'm not a fan of clowns, per se, but I just don't think about them, as a general rule.

I deleted the previous comment because I misspelled Michele's name.

John said...

Aw, that was nice, getting her name right. Her parents named her Michele Lynn, supposedly after Michelin tires. Because she's durable. A-durable, get it? Ugh. Sorry.

I'd been sitting on this clown one for a while, ever since I went to that classical music website, but then I decided I wasn't going to post anything new until the new year, and then I thought why not wait until the first full week of the new year.

The recent one is because I just saw that article today.

Post a Comment