Monday, July 09, 2007

Unsolicited Information: Things I Did Not Know

July 9th. This is only my 19th post of 2007. I should probably pick up the slack a little bit, huh? Still, that averages out to almost 3 a month, which is better that some people. If you haven't read Schprock's blog, you're probably still wondering what happened with good ol' "Open Casket" Joe and his latest whopper. Well tough clams, I haven't gotten to that yet. Instead, here's an informative yet unsolicited glimpse into a series of trivial matters I only just recently discovered.

Until about a week ago, I thought that show was called Sex in the City. Then I played a trivia game where the show was the answer to one of the questions and I got it wrong. It's Sex AND the City. Huh. You learn something new everyday. I've never seen the show, but I don't think I like the real title as much; it makes it sound like Sex and the City are the two main characters, like B.J. and the Bear. At least with Sex IN the City, you know the show's premise...a bunch of women having sex in the city.

I always get Andy Garcia and Gabriel Byrne mixed up. I don't know why, they don't really look alike, but I can never remember which one was in The Usual Suspects. USELESS TRIVIA: Gabriel Byrne was in Enemy of the State with Barry Pepper, who was in Saving Private Ryan with Matt Damon, who was in Ocean's Eleven with Andy Garcia.

Here's one I just found out today: in the Steppenwolf song "Magic Carpet Ride", the guy finds Aladdin's lamp and makes a wish, but someone steals the lamp. That part I knew. But I always thought after looking around, a lousy can was all he found. Turns out it's a candle. See?

Last night I held Aladdin's lamp
And so I wished that I could stay
Before the thing could answer me
Well, someone came and took the lamp away
I looked around, a lousy candle's all I found

Not that it really matters, I mean, he could have found some chewed gum or a Franklin Mint M*A*S*H Commemorative plate, he wouldn't get any wishes out of it. I guess candle makes more sense, because it serves the same purpose as a lamp. But in my head, I'm going to continue imagining some guy rummaging around and finding an old can of beets or something.

For the longest time I thought John Mellencamp wanted WBZ sports icon Bob Lobel to come and save his soul in "Jack and Diane".

So let it rock
Let it Roll
Let the Bible Belt come and save my soul

Once again, I kind of like my version better.

Lobel
Let Bob Lobel come and save your soul


Non sequitur...is it pronounced like Ecuador or equator? I'm never sure how to say it so I try to avoid saying it altogether.

Well that's it. Will there be another post this week, or even this month? Maybe. The only way to find out is to obsessively check back here every few minutes, which I highly recommend.

7 comments:

NYPinTA said...

Wow. This has been up for two days and no one has commented!

Here is something you didn't know about me: I can't blow my nose while looking in a mirror.
Aren't you happy you know that now?

John said...

Yeah, isn't Bloody Mary supposed to appear if you blow your nose in front of the mirror? Or at least her less frightening cousin, Congested Betty.

fermicat said...

I can't tell you how many song lyrics I had wrong as a child. They didn't make any sense to me, but somehow I never questioned their accuracy.

I pronounce non sequitur phonetically, which is probably wrong, but here in the south no one notices such things.

Josh said...

i was almost hesitant about clicking the link to your blog, thought i would still see Eight things in a duffel bag first...

LL said...

Well... that settles it. Based on your recommendation I'm going to obsessively check back here every few minutes.

John said...

Excellent.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I used to think the line in Journey's "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" was "It won't be long, yeah, 'til you're alone/When your lover, oh he's havin' some fun/'Cause he's lovin', ooh he's touchin', he's squeezin', another...."

But I discovered about 12 years after the song had been released that it's "/When your lover, oh he hasn't come home/'Cause he's lovin'...."

But, unlike your misheard lyrics, it fits either way.

Post a Comment