Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Not Track 5, Not Glenn's Prom Story

Ever since I started speaking, my grandmother has tried to get me to call her Grams or Grammy, the way my cousins do. Despite her valiant effort, she's always been, and forever will remain, 'Olly, because that's what I've known her as since I was a baby. 'Olly stemmed from my attempts at saying "Molly", which is what all her friends call her. Her real name is Alice.

Sunday was her 85th birthday. We had a party at my uncle Jay's house. She has one of the Medical Alert things around her neck. At first I thought it was a mini iPod. I brought my laptop and showed her some pictures I took at my brother Ryan's school on Saturday. They were mostly of flowers, but there was also a couple of the old cemetary across from the campus. She saw those and said, "That's where I should be. The cemetary." All she meant was that she should have gone to the cemetary to water the flowers on my grandfather's grave and her parents' grave, but it sounded like she meant that she should be in the ground herself. She always talks about how she should be dead. I remember a few years ago we dropped Ryan off at his friend's house before the prom. Ryan was talking to some of his friends when he noticed his date was missing. He found her talking to my grandmother.

"She wasn't talking about death, was she?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry."

Yesterday, my mom sent me an email saying that she had to go home because 'Olly had been in an accident and the police called. That was all it said. I chill went down my spine and I called Michele to let her know, or even to see if she knew anything else, since she was at my mom's house and 'Olly lives next door. Michele didn't know anything about it, and I wasn't getting any answer at my parents' house. There was nothing I could do but sit at my desk and try to stop shaking.

At the same time, my boss was just getting off the phone with a woman from National Geographic who confirmed that they'd be using us as their design firm. He had been increasingly doubtful that we'd win the account, and and he got the word, decided we should celebrate with a bottle of wine. I didn't want to ruin the moment, but I was way too anxious to celebrate. I called home one more time and Glenn answered.

He said that 'Olly was back at home, she seemed to be fine, except for a bleeding lump on her arm. He didn't say much else, but at least I knew she was okay. I felt a little better and went out to the other room with everyone else and had a glass of sparkling something-or-other.

The bottle said "Negro" on it, which prompted Joe to once again tell us that he once brought two black friends over to the house and his father looked at them and said, "I don't know why Lincoln ever freed you people." Wow, I just never get tired of hearing that same damn story about Joe's racist father. In fact, last time he told it, about a month ago, I actually finished the story for him. Of course, afterwards he always defends his old man by saying that they were all the best of friends after that and his father was from the deep South, so blah blah blah.

I didn't hear much more about the accident for the rest of the day. When I called home that night, I got my dad, who didn't know much more than me, except that apparently my grandmather crashed into another old person.

Today I got another email from my mom. 'Olly thought she didn't have any money, so she went to the bank. She made a left turn across from the library and smacked into an old guy's car going the opposite direction. The police called my mom at work and told her that 'Olly refused to go to the hospital and she should come and get her. She drove her to emergency care at one thirty and left at quarter to six. She's got bruises everywhere and hurt her ribs. The chain on her glasses must have cut her face, because it looks like Zorro whipped her (my mom's words, not mine.) As for the car, the whole front is pushed in and the headlights are smashed.

'Olly was hungry when they got out of the hospital, so my mom and my aunt Betty took her to the Union Chowder House for dinner. That's all I know right now.

14 comments:

fakies said...

I'm glad she's gonna be okay, and her injury is not funny at all. But you can't put that someone looked like they were whipped by Zorro and not expect some apologetic snickering.

All my cousins call my mom Aunt Babe, as do her siblings and parents (the Babe part). I tried to get it to catch on with her church friends too, but she smacked me alongside the head.

Spirit Of Owl said...

Wow, old ladies are tough. Glad she's ok!

*apologetic snicker* ... UH! Sorry. Sorry. :P

mr. schprock said...

Repeating Joe's story about his father and his two black friends was a torture the CIA used on the Iraqi prisoners in Gitmo. Much worse than flushing the Koran down the toilet.

John said...

Yes, if Joe was at that prison, we'd definitely have an international incident on our hands.

"Hey, you guys remember a show called Captain Nice?"

"Dear Allah, not Captain Nice again!!!"

mr. schprock said...

"Or how about 'My Mother the Car'?"

Aiiiieeeeee! What do you want to know? Stop the loud man and we will cooperate!

NYPinTA said...

My grandmother hit a bank once.. and I don't mean that in the 'she took em for all they had' sort of way, but that would have been cool.
Glad your Ollie is ok. Even if her name is Alice.

John said...

I was going to write a really long comment, but then I thought, "Screw it, I'll just make it a post."

I've got a bit of information to collect first, though.

fakies said...

Well, you now have the power in your hands to stop Joe. You really should consider it.

John said...

I should post that thing, too. I'm gonna be busy this weekend.

Juno said...

Glad your Olly is ok.

Now you have me thinking of grandma stories!

Anonymous said...

Because I'm not a saavy blogger, my friend and I were poking around last night to find out how to leave a comment. I had not even read any of your blogs, but we had heard of this contest via someone's daughter who is also in the competition. I was mortified when we accidentally published it to your blog. I told my friend I had to "fess up", because I did not want to undermine your chances to win. So that's why I went back to your blog and saw your comment added after mine - and I howled with laughter! So I read "Taste My Squirrely Wrath!". Honestly, I wasn't quite sure what to think. But then I read this blog that I am adding my comment to, and I howled with laughter again! Your grandmother is my great aunt of 98, she's anyone's grandmother - anywhere. Thanks for tickling my funny bone and pulling my heartstrings! I wish you much luck in this competition, John. ddfdfd

John said...

Thanks for the comment. That's what I aim to do; tickle and pull.

So does ddfdfd actually mean something? It looks like my report card from high school.

Anonymous said...

ddfdfd were just random keys. I was born left-handed but my mother taught me to write with my right. I guess I still favor my left, because it was like striking the piano keyboard with my left hand and hearing a tune...ddfdfd. See what I mean? It starts to hang around in your head! ddfdfd

John said...

Ahh.

Post a Comment