Monday, October 29, 2007

Ever See An Apple That Could Take A Bite Outta You?

I don't have the hiccups anymore. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. Unfortunately, I've spent every waking hour the past couple of months filling out applications for part time jobs and not one callback. It's the holiday season. Everyone is hiring, how hard can it be to get a job, right?

I don't know how many of you have every taken that 30-page personality test that accompanies nearly every online application, but if you have, and then went on to actually get the job, I ask you, what kind of crazy magic voodoo did you use to pass that thing? I've taken it for Best Buy, Borders, AMC Movie Theaters, Petco, Staples, Home Depot...always the same stupid questions. After several weeks of not hearing anything, I went into Best Buy and Borders to talk to an actual person and get an interview. The response at both places was that you can only apply on the computer, either at the store or online, and if you didn't score high enough on the personality test, the application isn't even sent to them. What is so important about that idiotic test? Don't those stupid assholes know there's nothing wrong with my personality?

Here's one of the statements, and in case you've never taken one of these before, each question is answered by a response of either "Strongly agree", "Agree," "Disagree," or "Strongly disagree":

You do things carefully so you don't make mistakes.

Does that mean "You do things carefully to avoid mistakes," or "You do things carefully. Therefore, you do not make mistakes"? The first statement means that you're efficient, which is what they're looking for, so you'd agree. But the second interpretation implies infallibility. And since no one is infallible, you are either lying or extremely arrogant--neither traits sought after by employees--so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. I mean, say agree.

What about this one:

You like to be in the center of a large crowd.

Well that depends, which way is the crowd facing? Is it facing in at me, in which case, why didn't they just ask the more straightforward question "Do you like to be the center of attention?" Or are they facing out away from me, as in "Do you like to blend in with the crowd?" And which one would they prefer? Are they looking for someone who's outgoing and proactive about helping customers as opposed to an introvert who scares away children, or are they trying to weed out the prima donnas (quick sidenote, I though it was pre-Madonnas until I was in High School) and loudmouths who spend all day talking to their friends instead of helping customers. It could go either way. Poorly written, ambiguous questions. God, I hate this test.

Then last week, I filled out an application for the Apple store. Guess what?! They don't have that ridiculous test! I was finally starting to feel good about a part time job. Optimistic, even. I just may save Christmas after all!

I got to the store last night, just before it closed. They ushered out all the customers, closed the doors and then me and five other guys sat at the back of the store with two employees, who showed us a couple of video presentations and slide shows. Did you know Apple opens 9 stores a day? Or that they generate over $4,000 per square foot per year? Or that Mac OSX Leopard turns water into wine? By the time the show was over, I couldn't wait to start working for the best company in this or any other time period in the history of mankind.

But first, a little test. The six of us were split into two groups of three, and asked to pick a product, either an iPhone, iPod, or Mac, and talk it up during a two minute drill to try and persuade our Apple employee hosts, who posed as a couple, into buying it.

My group chose the iPod. There was a Nano in a speaker display close to where we were sitting, so I suggested we get up and check it out. Man, those things are tiny. We examined it, one guy pulled out his Mastercard to confirm that the Nano is, in fact, considerably smaller than a credit card. I ran off a string of features, from the variety of colors available to the benefits of both the 4G and 8G models. I was doing pretty good.

Then the actual drill began. The other group went first. They picked the iPhone. The first guy started off explaining the phone itself and it's ease of use. He then passed it on to the next guy to talk about the iPod functions of the phone, and finally handed it off to the third member of the group, who talked about the remaining features and applications. Having three people try to sell you something seems a little impractical, but I've got to admit, they did a good job. The happy couple bought four hypothetical iPhones.

When it was our turn, we hadn't really thought out delegating who says what, and I was the last one to speak, so by the time it got to me, nearly everything that we'd thought of, including all my stuff, had already been said. I literally said something like, "It's small...headphones...um...I'm sorry. I died." All week long I was so excited about going to this thing. It's something I knew I could do, and I was filled with confidence, which never happens. But then, in that moment, I just completely blanked. The only way it could have gone any worse was if I accidentally set them on fire.

When I got outside, I thought to myself, "Questions! I should have asked if they had any questions!" Even if everything had already been said, I still could have answered any questions they might have had. And if I really couldn't think of anything, the saving grace would have been to mention the free personal shopping. If the store is busy or about to close, or if a customer just wants your undivided attention, they can sign up for a personal shopping appointment, which means that on a specific day and time, the customer can come in and speak to you for like an hour and a half. It's a great idea, actually, and a nice cop-out if your drawing a blank during a fake sale. "Actually, we'll be closing in a few minutes, but if you'll come over here, I can set you up for a personal shopping appointment and we can talk more about the Nano in detail tomorrow." Yeah, that's absolutely what I should have said. It would have covered the fact that the other two guys already went over everything and would have shown I was paying attention during the presentation.

But instead, they got, "It's small...headphones...um...I'm sorry. I died." Damn it. I just ruined Christmas.

Then I thought about earlier during the presentation, when the woman asked if anyone noticed that all the Apple stores only have the logo on the front, without any words. She asked if we could think of any other company that could do that and it would still be recognizable to people. I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of was when the Batman movie came out in 1989 and the poster was just the Batman logo. I remember this because at the time I was ten, and wasn't into comic books, so I didn't recognize it as the Batman logo. In fact, I didn't see a bat at all. I was looking at the yellow part, thinking it was teeth, and the black part was a big, open mouth. I wondered what movie was about some guy with big, crooked yellow teeth.



It's not that I'd never heard of Batman. I was well aware of Batman, and even had a few Batman toys, but they all had that 60s Batman logo, where it's his head and cape with the word Batman on it. Anyway, that's the first thing I thought of, and when she asked, I said, "Batman."

"Oh. Well, yes, if Batman had a store, they could use the logo on the front." (polite chuckling ensues)

Crap, that's not what I meant! I was just giving an example of logos being used with identifying text. And it was a good example. How did it end up making me sound like the special ed kid in kindergarten? Can I even show my face in that store again?

Maybe this doesn't mean anything. One of the things they said was that Apple employees don't work on commission, so not making a sale isn't a big deal. They also said customers usually come into the store four times before the make a purchase; first to look it over, second to ask questions, third to find out the price, and finally to buy. So assuming the test couple were in asking questions about the iPod, that'd be there second visit and they'd still have to more times before they make a purchase, right? So I'm good. It's cool. It's totally cool. I did all right. Please, God, let me do all right. I'll find out by Wednesday. I really need this job.

In happier news, congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on winning the World Series. You know what that means...it's PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! Or something.

12 comments:

fakies said...

Well, at least you weren't panicked or desperate. If you were, it would appear you are at an impasse.

Uh oh.

Nah, I'm sure it'll be fine. Who doesn't love Batman? It's not like Cilian Murphy was your interviewer, right? I hope not. His lips are really creepy. It's like he's had them permanently wrapped around a beer bottle for the last 20 years.

Oh, I'm sorry. This is about you.

Irb said...

I hate those stupid personality tests, my brother! Last time I took one was when I applied for a job at Sam's Club (when I was in college).

I had a job a couple of years ago for a petroleum research firm called Netherland, Sewell & Associates, and they made me take a battery of actual hard-ass IQ tests. Thing is, these tests were written back in the 1930s, so they had questions like "The XYZ Corporation currently employs 28 white people and 114 coloreds, who earn 35% less. What is the ratio of white wages to colored wages for XYZ Corporation?"

There was also this really long logic exercise involving two families and the number of cigarettes they smoked in an evening. Seriously.

Sorry the bastards aren't giving you the job love you need, but it's good to have you back and posting. And I'm glad your hiccups are gone!

(And for what it's worth, if I were in a position to hire, I'd would have already extended you an offer just for your Zombie Rodney Dangerfield Eating Karl Rove's Brains picture.)

LL said...

Does this mean you bested the Giant and the Spaniard in order to reach the personality test? If so... then I'd say that Apple is definitely going to hire you.

If not, well... there's always the Salvation Army. I don't know what they pay those bell ringers, but I'm sure it's a boatload...

John said...

Anyone need a logo or brochure or something made? Postcards, pamphlets, print ads? Anything?

fakies said...

How good are you at sewing on buttons?

John said...

I'm the best damn button sewer I know of as far as I know.

LL said...

Don't come begging now...

We tried to get you to market the Lazy Eye Kitty Coloring book, but you wouldn't.

However... I think you should print up a bunch of those and then sit in front of some public place and sell them for $5. I think you'll be surprised at the amount of coin you'll generate.

Shatterfist said...

It takes a certain kind of person to do well in retail, no matter how shiny and label-free they make their stores. Seriously, maybe it's not for you. At least it's a step up from those annoying shopping mall kiosks where people grab you and try to sell you crap like knock-off watches.

John said...

I'm not above begging. Not anymore anyway. When I think of enough things to put up, I'm going to start up a cafepress shop and whore it incessantly on this site, as should you all. But I don't have anything uploaded yet. I've got to look through all my old stuff and see if it'd be anything anyone would want on a t-shirt or greeting card.

I don't know how I'm going to find to find time to do that though, when I keep filling out personality tests all day.

LL said...

Dude! You're already sitting on a lazy eye kitty gold mine! Don't wait, just print up 10 copies and see how they sell. If they go like hot cakes, then you can print up 20 more, and so on and so on...

If they don't sell, then PinTA said she'd buy the whole batch from you, no questions asked.

John said...

Well it's Wednesday. Think they'll call?

And LL, I think I will put out that Lazy Eye Kitty book. Why not? Maybe even a sequal...

Tony Gasbarro said...

Those other guys are idiots, pretending they know how to sell Apple products. You proved you didn't have a clue, and the Apple bots want someone they can TRAIN in their WAYS.

You are SO IN!

Post a Comment