Thursday, August 23, 2007

Why I'm Afraid of Clowns



Earlier this week, Amy was looking at her boyfriend's Myspace page, and someone had left him the cryptic message: "Happy birthday! You are worse than Michael Jackson."

Well that's...open to interpretation. Worse than him at what? Scrabble™? Cutting back on the Jesus Juice? Mini golf?

You Are Worse Than Michael Jackson


In the name of science, I decided to do a search for "You are worse than Michael Jackson." and curiously enough, came up with almost 250 results. It seems "You are worse than Michael Jackson" isn't just a passive-aggressive non-sequitur, it's a biting accusation straight from the mouth of curly-booted 80's wrestling icon and Cyndi Lauper video extra The Iron Sheik! Apparently, he's still pretty mad about Wrestlemania III, and has some choice words for Brian Blair. The video is from an interview The Sheik gave last year, barely beating out the twenty-year statute of limitations on holding a grudge over a staged fight in a fake sport.

There. Another mystery solved. But the hypnotic lure and, dare I say, sensual embrace of Youtube kept me online far longer than I'd planned. They've got that list of similar videos on the right-hand column, so from the Iron Sheik video, I jumped over to "Roddy Piper attacks "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka with a coconut". I was never into wrestling, but with a description like that, how can you not watch it? Plus, Snuka is a funny name. Say it out loud and try not to giggle. Snuka. Tee Hee!

Anyway, from there, I went to Crispin Glover's super-crazy 1987 Late Show appearance, which then brought me to the above video for his seminal song "Clowny Clown Clown." Fun Fact: "Clowny Clown Clown" was an early favorite for Record of the Year in some music circles during the infamous 32nd Grammy Awards (the year of Milli Vanilli) but was narrowly edged out by "Wind Beneath My Wings." Another Fun Fact: Not really.

6 comments:

fermicat said...

Well, crap. Now I'm afraid of clowns, too.

Tony Gasbarro said...

I've never been afraid of clowns. I especially liked the "clown" he was making out with in the video!

Now, Crispin Glover, on the other hand, I'm afraid of. That guy is creepy. My proof? Look at that video again. He does stuff like that.

Anonymous said...

holy crap

that is worse than Michael Jackson

NYPinTA said...

Snuka! I'm going to say it all the time now.
Snuka, snuka, snuka!
HahahaHA!

Crispen Glover is creepiness personified.

fakies said...

That video will forever haunt my dreams.

Crispin Glover scares the bejeezus outta me. Full body shivers here.

John said...

All freaking day I've had hat weird dance under the palm trees at the beginning in my head. As scary as the rest of video is, that may be the best dance ever.

Post a Comment