Thursday, December 10, 2009

Breaking the Silence

Alright, I guess this has gone on long enough. Time to fess up. I guess I'm just going to have to accept that after all this time, I was wrong. For years I've wondered what "take out TCP" means in the song Respect. I thought maybe TCP was some kind of drug. I sure as hell didn't know what "rese" was. But it turns out the correct lyric is "Take care, TCB." TCB stands for "take[ing] care of business"

That somehow makes even less sense than taking out TCP. First, why say take care, followed by TCB, when the "TC" part means "take care"? That's redundant. And why throw in an acronym when you just finished spelling a word? It just seems like that would invite confusion. What's even more confusing is according to Wikipedia, the lines:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care ... TCB

are not even present in Otis Reading's original version of the song. He did add it later, and apparently there's some debate over who actually used the line first, but my question now is, if it wasn't even in his version of the song, what did he have in it's place?

Did anyone know the actual lyric prior to reading this? Are you not shocked? The only reason I know is that I looked up what "take out TCP means" one day after wondering my entire life. Even Tiny Toons thought it was take out T-C-P.



I guess if I'm completely honest, that's not the only thing that's been bothering me. See, I have Yahoo set as my homepage, but they completely rearranged the site a few months ago and I absolutely hate it. I'll see a story that looks interesting, but when I move the mouse, it turns into something else, because the cursor barely touched the sidebar and opened up "View Yahoo Sites" or "Autos" or some damn fool thing. It's annoying and I wish they'd change it back to normal. But I guess things will never go back to normal, no matter how much I want them to.

One of the staples of Yahoo is the "featured" comic strips. I clicked on today's, but Yahoo doesn't tell you the name of the strip, so unless you already know it or the artist writes it in the first block (which takes up valuable space) you're on your own. Here is what they have today:

Photobucket


HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! See, it's funny, because...um...wait....what the hell is this supposed to be? I guess it looks a bit like that movie The Last Starfighter, but that can't be the joke, right? I mean, the thing is FIVE PANELS LONG! Does it really take five panels to say "Hey look, 80s movie reference lol". And in three of them are just of someone walking. I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at.

I found out from reading the url that the comic is called Jane's World and from the comics' site that it's about a lesbian. So maybe there's some contextual thing I'm not getting. Is sector three some kind of secret lesbian code? Do they like to buy ice? Since I'm not familiar with the strip, I could be looking at this the wrong way. Maybe it's one of those Mary Worth-type comics that has boring ongoing dramatic storylines instead of lame throwaway gags. Even if that were the case, what is going on here? Entertain me, damn it! I'm so confused. Anyone want to give it a shot?

9 comments:

LL said...

Hahahahahahahaha!!! That's got to be the funniest comic I've ever read! Oh man... sign me up for the next one right now! Wow... I'm still laughing too hard to type...

Time for me to TCB I suppose...

fakies said...

Dude, that's one of my favorite comics! I have it e-mailed to me whenever there's a new one.

I've always been curious about who would take a chance on socking it to a woman the size of Aretha. She could plant you in the ground with one of those ham fists of hers.

John said...

I decided to make my own comic with a questionable 80s movie reference. Everyone, say hello to Phlmitz and Mngar. They are illegal aliens who get into all kids of hilarious hijinks.

LL said...

All "kids" of hilarious hijinks? Careful... you'll be getting a visit from Dateline now...

John said...

See, they must have stolen my N key. Those rapscallions.

Jim Donahue said...

I like your cartoon much better.

Also, I'm glad you're not dead.

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog. Praise Google. Anyway, flashback to when you were in 8th grade - I'm wondering if you remember the adventures of Vindhi, the kidnapping of Vindhetta,and your graphic representation of that event.

John said...

Of course! I still have the "Class of the Titans" cover. The actual comic is gone though. I think maybe someone else kept it.

mr. schprock said...

The guy in the comic looks like you. Not that that makes it funny. Well, maybe it does make it kind of funny.

Post a Comment