Thursday, January 29, 2009

JMDb

Sometimes, you just have to know when to pick your battles. That being said, from my office I just heard Joe say from down the hall:

"You know what was a movie that was disappointing that got a lot of hype? End of Days. It was Arnold's last movie, besides his cameo in The Rundown."


Against all odds, my brain did not implode after taking in that much false information. 2008 John would have gone down there and corrected him, but 2009 John is just going to sit in his office and pretend it never happened. However, just to purge it from my head, End of Days came out in 1999, just in time to cash in on the Y2K hysteria, but long before Arnold's stint in politics. In fact, over the next four years after End of Days release, he would go on to star in three more movies; The 6th Day, Collateral Damage and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and while he did have an uncredited cameo in The Rundown, his actual pre-Governator performance was a cameo in the greenlit-for-some-reason Around the World in 80 Days remake. That was five movies and five years after End of Days.

As for the hype, I don't recall any surrounding that movie, no more than the usual Schwarzenegger movie, anyway. When I think of hype, I think of a movie like The Dark Knight. You know, something people actually talk about. If anyone was talking about End of Days a decade ago, it was probably about how bad it was, as it got universally negative reviews. It did a modest showing at the box office, probably owing to the aforementioned Y2K hysteria, but I don't think I'd classify it as hype.


I don't expect people to know movie release dates off the top of their heads, that would be unreasonable. But don't pretend like you know what you're talking about and get every detail wrong. Well, maybe not every detail. It was a pretty crappy movie. At least he got that part right.

4 comments:

LL said...

Holy D'Artagnan Batman! That's what she said!

Kellogg said...

LOL at the blog title! Don't feel bad, though. I had 3 coworkers gang up on me at my last job telling me there were 3 National Treasure movies. I kept arguing that there weren't, and even after girl got the movie out of her car and saw that she just bought number 2, they were all like, "oh no, you got the wrong one!" I argued a little more and ended up gouging my eyes out for arguing about a Nicolas Cage movie. The end.

Stellar said...

End of Days was Arnold's first movie after having open heart surgery. I imagine that was the hype he was misinterpreting.

Stellar said...

Robin Tunney was also briefly topless in the movie.

Post a Comment