Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Aorta Be in Pictures

Remember when I made that appointment to see if I had Marfan Syndrome? Well, I just got back. Did you know that geneticists are located in the same part of the medical facility as the OB/GYN? I didn't. And neither did the lady behind the desk at the gynecologist's office apparently. I got some weird looks when I walked in there.

Can I help you?

Um, I'm here for an appointment.

With an OB/GYN?

Uh, no. Genetics.

She asked for my name, then she looked me up and asked me to sit down. So I sat there for about thirty-five minutes as wave after wave of female patients came in, sat down, were called into the office, and left. The lady behind the desk was talking to her co-worker about David Otunga, the guy from "I Love New York" who's engaged to Jennifer Hudson.

I had already made the co-pay downstairs and this is where the woman there directed me to go. I was starting to think I was in the wrong office, but the lady behind the desk assured me this was genetics, and the doctor would be out in just a few minutes.

The doctor finally came out to greet me. She was wearing plainclothes, like she was undercover. I guess I'm just used to doctors in those white smock things they wear, with a stethoscope around their neck and that circle thing on their head. Come to think of it, I've never seen an actual doctor wearing one of those circle things. She took me into her office and I sat down. The table next to me was overflowing with toys and Dr. Seuss books, and the front of her desk was covered with large, colorful magnetic letters. Near the bottom, someone had spelled out "Youkilis" using sideways "H"s for the "I"s.

She asked for some family history, I answered all of her questions to the best of my knowledge, and then we went into another room where she measured my height, armspan, and leg length. Then we went back to her office and she explained that loose connective tissues, which accounts for my flexibility and occasional hand-popping-out-of-the-socket-ness, is also the reason I had the hiccups for five days and why my throat closes up sometimes when I eat.

I didn't have to give up any of my precious bodily fluids, which was nice. But I do have to go back on January 20 to get 2 non-invasive tests; an ultrasound of my abdominal aorta, and an echocardiogram.

That's all I got for today. I was going to write "aorta" a few more times, but I don't remember everything the doctor said about it. I guess there's medication or something that can keep it from getting too big, because that's what happens. It explodes or something, I don't know. I feel better now that I've looked into all this stuff, anyway.

5 comments:

LL said...

So you've waited all this time to... wait for it... wait.

Sounds like the medical profession. And the reason they couldn't do the tests you know... today? While they had you there? And you'd already waited for an hour for a geneticist that obviously was sooooooo swamped that you were the only one waiting there? THESE are the medical mysteries that I'm curious about...

John said...

At least they scheduled the two ultrasound things for the same day.

Today I've got my regular check-up. I don't think I'm going to get away with not getting a blood sample this time.

fakies said...

Getting a blood sample? Is that what they've replaced lollipops with now? "Ok, you were really brave, so here are the samples to choose from. We have HIV or Hepatitis C. The Hep C is my favorite."

So does this mean you're not a mutant after all? I gotta tell ya, that's kind of a letdown.

John said...

I think it means I AM a mutant, which is great, because I'm going to use it as an excuse for everything.

Sorry, your honor. I'm a mutant.

Stellar said...

I looked this up on Wikipedia. It said Joey Ramone had it. Of course, g_s could have added that to make himself look cooler.

Joey Ramone was Jewish? Wikipedia is awesome.

Post a Comment