Friday, March 02, 2007

The Weather is a Bastard

I feel like there's an update on everyone's favorite unfrozen caveman designer in the near future. A lot has happened in the past few months. For instance, did I mention we have a new employee here at Where I Work, Inc.? And that it's a lady-type? Well, there is and she is. There was some lively discussion a few years ago as to whether Joe would shy away from blurting out such nuggets as "suck me off" and "everyone wants to lick me" if we ever got a female mixed back into the previously all-male staff, and if he didn't, whether it would driver her away screaming into the night. I have the answers to those questions and more, including what this is all about.

But first, I want to talk about the weather. Back in January, the trees in the public garden started blooming because it was so unseasonably warm. It didn't finally get cold until around the end of January or the first week of February. And when it did get cold, it got really cold. Fast.

Despite the cold, or perhaps because of it, we haven't gotten very much snow. I don't think we got more than three inches total all winter. But those three inches we did get, they came on Valentine's Day, and they mixed with rain to create a nice, horrible slush.

Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I had made plans for a special dinner at a classy restaurant that night. Actually, they were for the 15th, since the restaurant was already booked for Valentines Day back in early January when I made the reservations. For weeks, the weather was perfect, if a little cold, until the night before our fancy romantic dinner. The place is just a few blocks away from my work, but the idea of walking through all that wet, frozen slush in our best clothes sort of killed the mood. A lot of people had to cancel their fancy romantic dinner plans, too. It was disappointing, but a called and asked to reschedule so it was no big deal.

Brianna had her February vacation the following week and came in to work with me for the whole week, so I rescheduled the dinner for the next Friday, today. Every day between Valentine's Day and today has been fairly pleasant. We may have gotten another quarter inch of snow, but we've had a string of nice, sunny days. Especially this week. Until today. All the weather reports this week had the chances for heavy rain and/or snow for today at 100%. I was hoping and praying that they were wrong; it certainly wouldn't be the first time, but a peak out the window this morning proved otherwise.

Surprise! Rain. And lots of it. Stupid freaking weather. Whatever. I'm actually about to slush over to the restaurant right now, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

6 comments:

Tony Gasbarro said...

No you don't! You can't go claiming that the weather/god/Mother Nature has it in for you because every time you plan something nice with your gf/wife/mistress the weather turns bad.

The weather/god/Mother Nature only hates ME, you understand?

Thank you.

fakies said...

Nice try. Just admit you made the reservation for the wrong date and move on.

"Hi, I'd like to make a Valentine's Day reservation for 2 on March 17. Well, duh, Valentine's Day is always on March 17..."

John said...

Farrago: I didn't mean for it to sound like that. I'm pretty sure the weather indiscriminately hates us all.

trinamick: Michele's the one that said to cancel the first time. I would have gone. I was excited about going. It probably sounds lame, since we're already practically married, but we don't really go out on "dates" very often.

The weather finally cleared up Friday night, so that was good. But the two of us don't go out by ourselves all that much and I was a little nervous. Michele didn't go in to work that day, so she took the train into Boston and I was supposed to meet her at Arlington Station. I don't know if it was because I was nervous, but I was waiting for her on the side where I usually meet her when she gets off work, completely forgetting that she she'd be coming from the other direction because she wasn't coming from work. So I was on the wrong side of the tracks and didn't see her.

We did meet up eventually, and the dinner was great. She complained because she doesn't usually wear heals and they were killing her feet, but she looked really good. And I've got to admit, I looked pretty good too.

Oh, and for two days, there were state police cars and motorcycles all around the hotel across from my work. And when we got to the restaurant, there were all the bodyguards standing around. Apparently a prince of Jordan was eating there that night. Not that I saw him or would even know if I did, but that was sort of interesting. And may have explained all the security around the hotel.

I'm guessing he got a better table than we did, because we got stuck next to the little table where they keep the water and napkins, and our table was butted up against another one, so apart form a tiny divider, we were sitting right next to complete strangers.

It was worth the two week wait though.

fakies said...

Well, of course it was! You got to take out a hottie, and you probably pretended all the security was there to protect you.

NYPinTA said...

You and Michele are the cutest couple ever. Just had to say that.

John said...

That is correct. Sometimes it's sickening even to us.

Post a Comment