Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Mystery of The Cannibal King

Trina shared some of her grandpa's crazy-ass old-timey songs, and while some of them helped to explain how she got where she is today, a few of them I recognized from my own impressionable youth. But one of the songs absent from her list has been running through my head lately, and as is the case with such things, I can't get it out until I pass it along to someone else. If you or anyone you know has an AARP card, then you've probably sang, or were forcibly made to listen to someone else sing, about the enigmatic Cannibal King.

The Cannibal King, the legend goes, had a big nose ring. The king falls in love, but after that, the legend gets a bit hazy. My dad, and to a lesser extent, his sister, always used to sing this song, but apart from them, I'd never heard it anywhere else. Ever. It's been a while since I heard it, but I think it went something like this:

Oh, the Cannibal King
With the big nose ring
Fell in love with the dusting maid.
And every night by the mellow moonlight
Across the lake he came

He hugged and kissed his pretty little miss
Under the bamboo tree,
And every night in the mellow moonlight,
It sounded like this to me
Arr-Rump (kiss)(kiss)
Arr-Rump (kiss)(kiss)
Under the bamboo tree
Arr-Rump (kiss)(kiss)
Arr-Rump (kiss)(kiss)
Under the bamboo tree

We'll build a bungalow big enough for two,
Big enough for two, my darling, big enough for two
And when we're married happy we'll be,
Under the bamboo, under the bamboo tree

If you'll be m-i-n-e, mine...I'll be t-h-i-n-e, thine
And I'll l-o-v-e, love you...all the t-i-m-e, time

I guess you can't tell by reading it, but the song inexplicably changes melody after each little section, at least the way my dad does it. So it's like a bunch of mini-songs, like the second half of Abbey Road. Like I said, I'd never heard it anywhere else, but thanks to the internet, I've found hundreds of sites that list the lyrics to this song. Apparently everyone over fifty knows this song. And nearly every one of them knows slightly different words.

With seemingly no author on record, people have taken to changing the words all willy-nilly to whatever they want. Sometimes ol' Cannibal King falls in love with a dusty maid, or a dusky maid. Sometimes it's a sweet young maid. At least one time it was a husky maid. And sometimes it's a maiden, which puts a totally different image in your head. I think I prefer dusting maid, because it's a pretty good adjective for the maid/service profession. According to some guy named David Lynch, who almost certainly isn't the weirdo director by the same name, the original lyric was "dusky," but was changed in the mid-sixties to "very young," because dusky was sort of...overtly racist. He says the correct "dusky" is sometimes misheard as "dusting." But the hell with him. Fake David Lynch.

The moonlight could alternately be described as pale moonlight, but mellow moonlight has a nice ring to it. A big nose ring.And the weird noises that the singer hears change with virtually every version, from Karumph to Boom Boom. Sometimes it's not even under a bamboo tree; the weird noises are followed by...even more weird noises.

Why can't these people make up there minds? Who is this Cannibal King? And who does he really fall in love with? Is it a black chick, or the maid? And not that I really want to know, but what kind of filthy noises did they make under the bamboo tree? I can only imagine what "harrumph" is supposed to be. And, being a cannibal and all, is he like, taking a bite out of her? This song raises more questions than it answers.

17 comments:

mr. schprock said...

I'm a pretty old dude, but I've never heard that one. That being said, I have to insist it's got to be "dusky" maid.

John said...

Maybe it's 55 and older.

I'm starting to warm to dusky. But I'm not sure what that looks like, though. Dusk is when it just starts to get dark out, so you kind of think of Halle Berry-ish tones. But on the other hand, the sky at dusk is usually sort of purple, and that's more like the straight-of-the-boat Africans. Or like Mr. Eko on Lost. So is dusky a really light-skinned black person, or really dark?

Um...so did you know it's Black History Month? How about that Frederick Douglass? George Washington Carver. Underground Railroad. I like black people.

LL said...

Since I'd consider most Polynesians to be somewhat dusky, I'm thinking that the Fake David Lynch is probably correct.

Damn g_s and his politically correct blog... :P

John said...

Yeah, Fake David Lynch is right, but how dark is dusky is my question.

LL said...

Well... it's not white, but it's not black... it's dusky.

That help any?

John said...

Maybe she was musky. But the big ring in his nose ruined his olfactory senses so he couldn't smell her funk.

fakies said...

Or maybe it really is husky, and he was just a chubby chaser. After all, he was a Cannibal King. He'd like a little meat on them bones.

John said...

She was probably a husky dusky.

NYPinTA said...

Shouldn't that be dusky husky? Wait.. that brings up all sorts of wrong images.

BTW, I've heard that song before. A Girl Scout leader sang it once. I remember thinking it was a stupid song, but most of those songs are.

John said...

Oh yeah, and if you heard it before, what kind of maid was it in the Girl Scout version?



You were in Girls Scouts?

Shatterfist said...

I'd always thought that was a weird song to sing to children. He used to sing it a lot too, which irritated me.

The last thing I wanted to picture before going to bed was a cannibal bumping uglies with some girl he was planning to eat later. Yes, I figured "A-roomp" (or whatever it was)was the guy kissing/eating her and making disgusting sounds while he did it, like Homer Simpson.

There's no less disgusting way to interpret that, sadly.

John said...

I don't know if this king guy would literally go through a whole song and dance to woo this chick if he's just going to eat her afterwords. He's the king, he could just skip all that and say "GET IN MAH BELLY!"

The Ar-rump thing must be some kind of mating ritual. If he says he's going to marry her and build a bungalow and all that, I'd think he means it. Could he be grooming her for a life as a cannibal herself? Possibly. But I think she's safely off the menu.

Or maybe the weird noises followed by the kisses is like a he said/she said deal. The girl is taming this wild man, like Beauty and the Beast.

Cannibal: Harrumph!Harrumph!
Maid: No, silly cannibal! It's like this...kiss kiss.
Cannibal: Like this? Harrumph!Harrumph!
Maid: No, this...kiss kiss.
Cannibal: Now I get it!

That would work better if imagined as a Family Guy-style cutaway that breaks into a full-on dance number lifted frame by frame from some obscure old musical that no one in the target audience has ever heard of.

Considering the person in the song observing all this more than likely viewed both the cannibal and maiden as savages, that's probably not the case. So I guess I'd go with mating ritual.

fakies said...

Thank you for the Fat Bastard reference. Now the image in my head is of him humping Aunt Jemima. I'll never eat pancakes again.

Shatterfist said...

CMPAL!

NYPinTA said...

You were in Girls Scouts?

yes.

Anonymous said...

I'm 27 and my mother used to sing this to me as a bed time song when I was little. My two year old loves it and will not go to bed until I've sung it to him TWICE!

MichaelS said...

My Mom used to sing it with different lyrics like,
"somebody's been here
Givin' you lessons in love,
.....,
......,
you ain't no beginner,
Somebody's been here before-or-or

Post a Comment