Monday, October 23, 2006

Zombie Midget Realtor

I don't quite remember what caused it, but a few years ago I missed a dentist appointment and never rescheduled. I haven't been back since, and I'm pretty sure every tooth in my head is completely decayed. It's now to the point where so much time has passed that I'm afraid to go back, just out of shame. I don't want to face the inevitable lecture. I never had a single cavity when I was growing up, and now all my teeth feel weird and hollow. That can't be good.

Last summer I had about 30-something returning visitors to this blog every day. It's not a lot, but it's nice to know that, of the hundreds of millions of blogs out there, a couple dozen complete strangers are bored enough to spend their lunch hours reading about my fascination with Asian coffee drinks. After moving into our new place back in August, and all the new clients piling up at work, I've been too drained to read or write anything (and I'm not the only one), and after weeks of no new posts, those thirty people have shrunk to 9. That was a few weeks ago. I haven't checked since then. I'm afraid to even look now, just like going back to the dentist.

So whoever's left, tell your friends that guy with the rotting teeth is back online, and he's making a concerted effort to post on a semi-regular basis, at least until the next psychological crisis renders him unable to do anything but rock back and forth under his desk and drool. In other words, I should be good until around Thanksgiving or so.

Alright, there's so much to catch up on, but right now all I'm focused on is an ad I saw Friday in the Metro. It was for The Learning Annex Real Estate & Wealth Expo, and featured a frighteningly large photo of Donald Trump's shiny, greasy face. It looked like he just dunked his head in a Frialator, to the point where his giant pores were actually a distraction from that weird animal carcass sitting on his head. Anyway, according to the ad, for just $99, you'll learn the secrets to becoming a multi-millionaire from Trump, as well as Keynotes speeches from George Foreman, Tony Robbins, and a smiling Asian guy. The ad didn't say whether Trump's hair would take the podium and give it's own seminar, but it did promise that Tony Robbins will "rock your world!" Obviously I have no idea what the secrets to becoming a multi-millionaire are, but I'm pretty sure one of those secrets is to get suckers to pay $99 to hear you talk.

To get the Donald's unsettling visage out of my head, I thought about one of the other ads for money-making seminars that have appeared in the Metro. During the summer they had one for the Cash Flow Generator Think Big Conference, another real-estate conference, led by millionaire twin dwarf brothers. The ad ran for a week or so, leading up to the event, which was held at an airport Ramada or something. It seems there's always some get-rich-selling-real-estate seminar taking place, but this one was different, because it had dwarfs. Not just dwarfs (dwarves?). Twin dwarfs.

And here's where it gets weird. Okay, weirder. I mentioned them at work, and when I was met with the usual blank faces, I looked to the trusty internet to prove I hadn't imagined two tiny millionaires in business suits. Not only did I find them, but I found the obituary for one of them, from 2005. Granted, when you ride the train to and from work every day, all the days sort of blend together, but I could swear that I saw that ad this summer, six or seven months after one of the advertised speakers died. That's sort of creepy. Don't you think some sort of acknowledgment that one of the founders of the program had passed and would therefore be unable to attend would have been helpful, and above all, classy? Or were they just going to prop him at the podium and wave his arms around, and hope no one will notice? I for one would have the surviving brother stand next to a mirror. Of course, it could be there's another set of identical twin millionaire dwarf brothers teaching real-estate seminars and I've got them confused. It doesn't seem likely though.

12 comments:

LL said...

I'd suggest you try to hit the dentist sometime. It'll do wonders for your psyche when he's treating the next guy and has a black eye...

fakies said...

I'm very good about going to the dentist yearly. But the last time, the hygienist tried to kill me. My teeth bled for 3 days afterwards. Maybe I should try it your way.

Also, I wonder how fulfilling it is to be a millionaire dwarf. Sure, you're rich, but you're still short. And everything you buy is still bigger than you.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Three weeks before I was scheduled to get out of the US Air Force, I had a four-day toothache. I went to the dental sick call, where the dentist drilled for nine hours and then said I had to schedule an appointment every two weeks for about the next month and a half. When I told him the USAF was done with me in three weeks, he changed his tune to "once every other day until we get it patched up."

So for a week and a half I went every 48 hours to undergo an hour or two of root-canal joy. That was October of 1987.

Thirteen years later my wife was horrified when I told her that I hadn't been to the dentist since then, and she made an appointment for me without asking me. Now, it's not like I hadn't taken care of my teeth in that time. I brushed faithfully - if not vigorously - every day and night in those intervening years, figuring that, if I took good care of my mouth, O wouldn't NEED to go to the dentist.

Anyhoo, I went, and the hygienist had brought out the heavy weapons, certain she would find disaster when I opened my mouth.

So, look on the bright side, you could get to the dentist and have my experience... ZERO cavities. My dentist and my hygienist hate me because I beat the odds, and they don't get to drill in my face.

fermicat said...

After I left college and joined the working world, I waited nine years (yes, "9") before visiting the dentist. At first I just didn't care enough to do it. But after a few years, I avoided it for just the reasons you mention. I was sure they'd find a mouthful of cavities and other horrors. But when I finally stopped procrastinating and went, there were no lectures and no cavities. I went regularly for about three visits and now I'm back to procrastinating. I think I'm about 2.5 years overdue now, and not worried about it at all.

See, so you've heard from two people already who went years with no professional dental care and had no negative consequences (other than it taking a long time for the teeth cleaning after all those years). So you can stop worrying and just go! I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

Anonymous said...

I saw that ad in the metro about Donald Trump, but the smiling Asian guy was Robert Kiyosaki (http://www.reincashflow.com/images/robert-kiyosaki.jpg)
My friend in Colorado is always telling me to read his stupid books... I never saw the twin dawrfs coming to town though...Was that at the same time that the old guy on the T was shredding newspapers into squares and threatening to slap a lawsuit on the T? PS. I work right across from Au Baun Pain on Boylston now, lets get lunch/pizza!

Josh said...

eh, i didn't go to the dentist for about a year before i moved in with my dad, never went with him and i was with him for 5 years...finally went a month ago had to get one filling...got that done today...the two hours of a numb mouth is really not that bad

kenju said...

HI, John, you are a funny man!
Trinamick sent me.

NYPinTA said...

When I was in the 6th or 7th grade both my sister and I refused to go back to our dentist. I'm not exactly sure why we both dug in our heels on the issue, but I'm pretty sure that his being a complete asshole had something to do with it. Both of us had quite a few cavaties, which even at the tender age of 11 I thought was kind of fishy. Fast foward about 7 years and I have my own insurance and I decide it's time to bite the bullet... grin and bear it... and a bunch of other sayings involving teeth and I go to a new dentist. Sure that I was going to end up with a mouth full of metal, imagine my surprise when he looks down at me and says, "Damn. I'm not going to make any money off of you." 7 years, no dentis, no cavaties. Strange, no? I still think the first guy was faking all the cavaties my sister and I supposedly had, but it's kind of hard to prove.
So... I don't know if moral of my story is go to the dentist or that dentists are a bunch of scamming bastards. You decide.

John said...

ll: I think it was Jesus who said, "Never hit a guy who puts pointy things in your mouth."

Trina: On the fulfillment scale, rich dwarf falls somewhere between amputee drummer, and schizophrenic homeless recording artist.

Farrago, Fermicat + Josh: I could get lucky, but I can FEEL how bad it is. My mouth always hurts. It's going to be bad. Plus I don't have any time.

Mike: I don't know who Robert Kiyosaki is, only that I'm supposed to know he's the "Rich Dad." One interesting thing I've noticed though. A different ad has run for this thing each day for the past three days. The first one had Trump's big scary head, the second one scaled it back a bit and only put him on half the page, and today, there's only a small picture of him in a box at the bottom with the others. Is he not as big a draw as they thought, or his his greasy head frieghtening children and the elderly?

kenju: Cool, a potential new person to disappoint on a regular basis! Just skim the archives when I'm slow to post. Remember, old posts need comments, too.

NYP: My dentist isn't bad, really, I just feel like I've let him down. And I know eventually I'm going to have to watch that video again about impacted molars. Not really looking forward to that, either. Man, everyone's talking about dentists. I only mentioned it to explain my apprehension about checking stat counter after weeks of no posting (or lame, two or three sentance posts...by the way Yahoo still thinks I'm British).

Michele said...

Since I'm paying for your dental coverage, you better believe YOU'E GOING.

NYPinTA said...

Yeah well, getting new posts from you is like pulling teeth.

LL said...

Of course your computer still thinks you're British... Look at your teeth!

Post a Comment