Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Your Mission

At some point in the history of the world, somebody made an a cartoon about anthropomorphic firecrackers whose sole purpose in life was to explode. More importantly, at some point in my childhood I happened to see this cartoon. I think it was one of those "little ugly duckling that could" stories, where the larger firecrackers thumbed their noses at the little guy, who wanted nothing more to be part of a Forth of July fireworks display. And sure enough, in the end, his is the most spectacular display of them all. Or maybe he wasn't chosen, but was the lone survivor after all the others exploded. I forget. I don't really remember much about it, except it was pretty disturbing, and possibly at least slightly racist (my recollection is hazy, but at least one of the characters may or may not have been a caricature of Asian stereotypes.)
I think I saw it on the Disney Channel. I don't suppose anyone has any idea what the hell I'm talking about, huh? I just need to know that someone out there saw the same thing I did.

13 comments:

fermicat said...

Sorry, can't help you. I have no idea what you are talking about. But we didn't have the Disney Channel (because I am too old for that to have been possible, I think).

Shatterfist said...

Are you sure it was Disney? It sounds like it might be one of those crap studios that wasn't Disney or Warner Bros. - like Harvey Toons or MGM or soemthing. Their stuff always scared the bejeepers out of me as a child.

NYPinTA said...

I think this is just something you made up, because I have no idea what you are talking about either. Sorry.

fakies said...

Not a clue. But then again, if it wasn't on CBS, we didn't get it.

John said...

"I think this is just something you made up, because I have no idea what you are talking about either. Sorry."

Well that's just great. I'll find out what it is somehow, just like that guy that saws his legs off. Then you'll see. You'll all see. Ahahahahahahahahaha!

Although Googling "talking fireworks" hasn't been as useful as I'd hoped it'd be.

fakies said...

Maybe you should try "anthropomorphic firecrackers whose sole purpose in life was to explode."

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you actually posted something... Has your work moved into another building yet?

NYPinTA said...

I tried to google firework cartoons. Didn't find your imaginary cartoon that way either.

John said...

I actually never asked Google. I found the answer page from someone else who'd asked. But this one's a whole new level of obscure. I'd need to find an old Disney Channel program guide from July of '87 or '88.

John said...

Yeah. People collect the weirdest things. There's got to be someone with every Disney Channel Magazine from the late eighties through early nineties. Maybe someone with an unhealthy obsession with late Canadian actress Colleen Dewhurst. I have no idea who the hell she is, but Disney put her in everything back then. It's like every other cover was Colleen Dewhurst in "Something of Avonlea" or "Jay Underwood is a robot."

LL said...

Holy cow... looks like this subject has put g_s in an infinite loop.

NYPinTA said...

Holy cow, stellar, post something new! ;P

Shatterfist said...

Have you tried 'Vault Disney'?

Post a Comment