Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Worst Part of Waking Up

Labor Day. I'm not really sure what the point of it is, since all the stores are open anyway, but any chance I get to get in a few extra hours of precious sleep I'll take. Such was the case yesterday, as I layed peacefuly on the bed, wrapped snugly in an oversized blanket, dreaming of sugarplums or something, when suddenly I hear, "Guess who died?"

Still groggy, I ask who.

"Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter."

"Really? How?"

"A stingray punctured his heart."

"A stingray? Really?"

Well, great. How am I supposed to sleep now? I was bummed out for the rest of the day. I kept thinking about stingrays. She did the same thing to me when Christopher Reeve died. You can't just tell someone that somebody died first thing in the morning. What the hell is that? You've got to let them wake up a little first. Geez.

On the bright side, Brianna came home yesterday! Which of course would be significant to you if I'd mentioned that she's been in South Carolina with her grandparents all last week. She was in South Carolina with her granparents all last week. Maybe she'll write about her trip.

Anyway, I think people should wait until at least after breakfast to talk about death. What do you guys think?

14 comments:

fakies said...

I'm not a big fan of death before eating either. However, I slept until noon yesterday, so I didn't even hear about Mr. Crikey until this morning. And I hadn't eaten yet.

Josh said...

i heard about this at like 1 in the morning while doing my paper route...kinda ironic as he died from a stingray doing a show or documentary on how stingrays are not harmful animals

John said...

I sure didn't think they could kill you. You can pet them at the aquarium for crying out loud. Of all the deadly things that guy's handled over the years and the one that does him in is a freaking stingray. It's a doormat with eyes. Oh, and, uh, a horrible veeenomous 8 inch barbed tail.

I'll bet koalas can kill people, too. They're just waiting to make their move. "Hey, look, we're so cuddly. Look at us nibble eucalyptus leaves." Then, WHAMM! The koala revolution begins. Well played, koalas.

Josh said...

eh maybe, but no i didnt read into it too much just what i heard on WAAF in the morning

fermicat said...

Yes, full consciousness would be of great help in comprehending that fact that someone is dead. And breakfast would help, too. I'm pretty sure I found about about Princess Diana first thing in the morning. It's all a bit fuzzy now, but I am almost positive I was still sort of sleeping when I heard the news and it just didn't seem real.

NYPinTA said...

I found out about Princess Di at around 1:00 AM. I was in a new apartment and was unpacking and they broke in. I was stunned.
Found out about Stever Irwin when I logged on yesterday. That is so sad, and so freaking stupid!
I was woken up when that last shuttle exploded over Texas. A friend called me to ask about it. Seeing as it was around noon, I probably shouldn't complain.

LL said...

Meh... death is final no matter when you hear about it.

But seeing how they're just as dead, I can't see how waiting until after breakfast would hurt anything...

Anonymous said...

I think his death was so absurd and unexpected that no matter what time of the day the news hits you you'll never be able to get stingrays and death out of your mind.

At one time i actually envied that empathy he had with all animals, even though i thought he was a bit over-the-top in the crazy department.

John said...

A stingray! It's like, if you defused bombs for a living and you died by getting smothered by kittens. Maybe not exactly like that, but not quite the demise you'd expect.

fakies said...

We had a volunteer fireman here a few years ago who had fought fire for years. Then he fell into the pond at his job at the sewage treatment plant and got sucked. He drowned in other people's crap.

John said...

"He drowned in other people's crap."
Wow. He literally did what I figuratively do every day.

Shatterfist said...

Students in the kids' karate class I help out with were snickering about Steve Irwin's death. That's just creepy. I know kids might not "understand" death, but this was like something from a horror movie. I mean, can you really *laugh* about something like that? I said "if kids don't appreciate life, do we want to be teaching them black belt moves?"

John said...

Damned Cobra Kai.

NYPinTA said...

He drowned in other people's crap. That has got to be the absolute worst way to go!

Post a Comment