Monday, April 05, 2010

Father of the Year

You might be wondering what Joe's been up to these days. Well fear not, I still get the occasional e-mail from John T, keeping me updated on the latest Joenaningans.

I got this one back in December, when I was in a blog coma:

Joe just asked where Clarendon Street is.


If some of you folks reading at home have never been to our fair city, I wouldn't expect you to know where Clarendon St. is, but to give you an idea, here's a map:



USELESS TRIVIA: Starting at the Public Garden, the north-south cross streets are named alphabetically from A-H (Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester, and Hereford.) This same set of street names is used on the east-west running streets in Gladstone, Oregon.

But wait. There's more. This one is from January:

Joe had to take a vacation day today with little notice. He cited personal reasons to the boss (and she asked no questions), but when I asked him why, it was because his daughter had been caught driving an unregistered car without a license, and the friendly cop who pulled her over called him and asked that he come down to straighten things out to avoid her getting in deeper trouble. Apparently she was in a real jam and this needed prompt attention.

His daughter just called the office asking for him. I told her that he was supposed to be with her. That was news to her.

What conclusion would you draw?

To the best of my knowledge, personal days can be taken for any reason, so there's zero incentive to lie about it, although I suppose with only two employees, vacation rules might be a bit more strict. Still, it takes a special kind of person to not only lie, but slander their own daughter in the process. So cheers, Joe. I'm kind of torn between relief that I no longer work there, and awestruck bewilderment that you still do.

4 comments:

fermicat said...

Even *I* know where Clarendon Street is, and I used to get lost in Boston all the time. Apparently Joe isn't getting any smarter with age...

I don't know what to say about his weird lie. If you're going to lie, your best bet is to keep it simple. But the liars I've known (cough*ex-husband*cough) tend to make up stuff that is unbelievably complicated with a ton of unnecessary details.

John said...

Also consider where Clarendon St. is compared to where he is, and has worked for five years (exit building. turn left. walk two blocks.)

LL said...

What to say to a post like this...

Aruuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggaaaaaaaaarrrrrgh...

Or maybe...

That's what she said.

mr. schprock said...

I've got to start feeding you some more Joe stories. Maybe you can have a regular "Joe Update" feature with John T. reporting in. Sort of a news and comment thing.

Post a Comment