Friday, November 14, 2008

Faith and Begorrah! Me Poor Ears!

A couple of months ago, I got my own office under cartoonishly ridiculous circumstances. So now I'm all the way down the hall from Joe, which sounds nice in theory, but it seems like he's in my office now even more than when I was next door to him. That's mostly because the back-up computer was moved to my office. We really only use it if we need to scan something (which is maybe twice a year) or if we need to pull a job off of--or put a job onto--the archive. By the way, Joe dubbed the backup drive "Hogwarts", which he thinks is hilarious. Anyway, no sooner had I sat down in the new office, Joe's in here saving old jobs to the archive and checking every ten minutes to see if it's finished. I told him I could check for him, so he doesn't need to come down here all the time. The estimated time to finish downloading was 40 minutes, so coming in to see if it's done every ten minutes just seems pointless.

That computer also has the scanner, which we very rarely use, but when I first moved into the new office he was in here every morning using the scanner. Why, you ask? Because his wife checked a sock-knitting book out from the library and it was due back soon. I guess she liked it, but didn't want to pay outrageously inflated book-store prices for her own copy, so Joe was scanning the entire book, page by page, to make full-color printouts. You can't make this stuff up.

But I don't even care. Joe is small potatoes. White noise. The thing that's been slowly driving me insane since I moved to this end of the studio is my boss's radio. Her office is right next to mine, and she's a country music fan. And it's on all day.

I don't know a whole lot about country music, but I guess like anything else, it can be broken into smaller sub-genres. As far as I can tell, the station she listens to is soft-rock staples as sung by today's names in country music, whoever the hell they are. So far I've heard country versions of Boyz II Men songs, Eagles songs (which were practically country to begin with so it just seems redundant), Walking in Memphis, that Aerosmith song from Armageddon...it's like they took MAGIC 106.7's playlist and twanged it all up. Oh, and every day at noon they play the Star Spangled Banner, because anyone who isn't constantly waving a flag until they get carpal tunnel syndrome is a Commie bastard who hates our troops.

It's not all national anthems and adult contemporary hits as performed by guys with giant beltbuckles. About four times a day, Kid Rock (Not country!) inexplicably shows up to sing a song about singing Sweet Home Alabama (Also not country!), sampling quite a bit of the melody from Sweet Home Alabama, and, for some reason, Werewolves of London (Not even the same country!!) But I'd cover myself in peanut butter and lie on a fire ant hill while headphones duct-taped to my head play Kid Rock singing about singing someone else's song on a loop for a month if it meant never having to listen to the most annoying, repetitive song I've ever heard. Even more annoying than Move Ya Body. Well, maybe not. But it's up there. And it goes like this:

"oo oo oo oo oo oo, oo oo oo oo oo oo, oo oo oo oo oo oo oooo"

And continues on like that for nearly four minutes.

After hearing it every day for two months, I had to look it up, just so I'd know who to direct my unbridled rage at. It did take a little work, since the wall between our offices absorbed all the audible lyrics other than the steady burst of 19 "oo"s, which came through loud and clear. What is the secret of the "oo"s? Typing a bunch of "oo"s into Google didn't really help. But adding "annoying" and "country song" yielded some results. So, I hereby direct my unbridled rage at Sugarland, and "All I Want To Do." Congratulations, Sugarland, you just made my enemies list.

In other news, I won't be going back to the doctor to settle this whole Marfan Syndrom kerfuffle until next month. I suppose it could be worse. I could have Foreign Accent Syndrome.



Don't laugh. There are dozens of them. Dozens! Did Madonna suffer so kind of massive head trauma we don't know about? I wonder if Trina's got an Irish brogue now, since her little accident. The thing I don't understand, you know, beside the fact that they start speaking in a different accent to begin with, is why they can't just switch back. Have you ever seen a movie where you didn't realize the actor was British until you hear them use their real accent in interviews? Well, if you can "do" an accent, couldn't you just "do" your old voice if someone threw a toaster at your head one day and you suddenly sounded like Colonel Klink?

I'll bet the dozens of people with Foreign Accent Syndrome get asked that all the time, and it probably ticks them off. It's like when you lose something and everybody says, "Where was the last place you had it?" Wow. Why didn't I think of that? Another mystery solved there, Encyclopedia Brown.

19 comments:

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

Oh, my gosh, my eye makeup is streaming down my face and I can't see what I'm typing. Thank you,John,I needed that.

"oo oo oo oo oo oo, oo oo oo oo oo oo, oo oo oo oo oo oo oooo"

Every Photo Tells A Story said...

P.S. Why haven't you "claimed" your
Brag Badge from Blogger's Choice Awards for Best Humor Blog!

LL said...

That song got old on the second chorus... I can't imagine hearing it all day long.

But the real question is... would you rather listen to that song all day or Joe?

Tony Gasbarro said...

I vass sinking eet must be fery, fery deefeecolt to escape crrreeteeceesm venn yoo haff zees Forreign Lengvetch Seeendrrrome!

John said...

I'd rather listen to Joe.No question. Unless he was singing the song. Then my head would explode.

NYPinTA said...

My co-worker is a big country fan (as if that stuff on country radios can actually be called country. My mother is an old school country fan and she thinks the stuff they play now is pop and she wants her 'honky tonk' back. Or as she also calls it, 'shitkicker' music. Nice.) and she has that on her internet radio all day. I've heard the oo oo oo oo song way too many times as well. But what makes it worse is another co-worker has a radio on in the closet that faces her desk and that radio plays nothing but Rod Stewart, Queen (who I actually like but somehow is campy between Rod Stewart songs) and that Kid Rock song. And if that isn't enough, we have the company PA that people keep changing the channel of and most of the time it's playing songs with harmonica and symbols that I can't completely make out but they make my skin crawl. And they wonder why I'm such a surely bitch at work.

PS WTF aren't you going back to the doctor?

John said...

I've got three appointments in December.

NYPinTA said...

Aah. Um, it seems I didn't read the whole sentence and thought you just weren't going back. Oops.

John said...

Yeah, I'm seeing a geneticist on Dec 9, I've got my regular checkup on the 10th, and orthopedics on the 18th.

John said...

THEY'RE PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW! GAH!!!!

fakies said...

Dere alvays after me lucky charms.

I would take an Irish brogue over the 12 yo cheerleader voice I usually possess. That said, my sister and I have spent so many years doing fake accents in gas stations and elsewhere that it would be hard to tell if it was injury-related or not. My gutteral Native accent always gets me better service on the reservation.

I'm not sure which is worse: current "country" or Gene Campbell singing Rhinestone Cowboy. Ick.

Shatterfist said...

I was just saying the other day, I heard that song and thought it was "Werewolves of London" - and was *very* dismayed when it wasn't.

Also, unlike "Sweet Home Alabama", that song has no message.

LL said...

Erm... KTM, that's Glenn Campbell, and he can sing the Rhinestone Cowboy anytime of day. But I just heard him cover the Foo Fighters on Leno a couple weeks back. Lemme tell you something... that right there was comedy!

John said...

As long as nobody's singing oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo, I don't care. And I still want to kick Sting in the junk for "De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da"

fakies said...

Dat's what I say - booty trap! (Oops) No matter how you spell it, Glenn Campbell sucks.

fakies said...

Oh, and I'm not sure which I hate worse now, that song or the singer's facial expressions. Ho. Lee. Crap. She looks like she's straining on the toilet.

John said...

You can't say "oo" for four minutes and not develop chimp face. FACT.

I don't know why she bothered covering up those mosquito bites with a bikini top. She should be singing "All I want is bo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oobs."

Broke But Still Drinking said...

Thanks for the x-mas gift idea. This year my family will all receive full-color print outs of their favorite books.

John said...

Glad I could help. Hope they're not Harry Potter fans, or you'd have had to started back in April.

Post a Comment