Monday, September 15, 2008

Babar, the Possibly Sinister Disappearing French Elephant

I was about to check my email on Yahoo just now, and I saw an article about the biggest box office bombs in history. So I had to look at that. Just like he does in most of his movies, Eddie Murphy plays more than one part in this list, appearing in both Meet Dave and The Adventures of Pluto Nash, which had the biggest budget vs. box office intake deficit of them all. But the lowest-grossing movie ever is Zyzzx Road, starring Katherine Heigl and Tom Sizemore. It cost 2 million to make and did a grand total thirty bucks in theaters. Or, the one theater it played in. Thirty bucks. No wonder Sizemore's a crackhead.

Anyway, after that I spent three minutes trying to explain to a co-worker who Katherine Heigl was, and another ten minutes trying to remember who I always confuse her with. The other one was in Knocked Up, right? No, that was Katherine Heigl. Oh, so the the other one was in that movie where the French guy that looks like Anton Chigurh is her dad. No, that's Katherine Heigl, too. Whatever. It was Jessica Biel. Yeah, I know they don't look anything alike, it's just their weird last names, I can never remember which one is which. Now I know who Jessica Biel is but couldn't tell you what she's been in.

After all that, I still hadn't checked my mail, so I got back to the task at hand. But just as I clicked on my mailbox, out of the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw a headline that said something like "A New Revelation in the Babar Conspiracy" and an accompanying picture of Babar, King of the Elephants, with his green suit and crown everything. Of course I had to find out what that was about, but when I clicked back to the main page, it was gone.

That happens all the time. I see a headline just as I'm leaving a page, think, "Wait. What the hell was that?" and then go back to where I just was and the mystery headline is gone. I hate that! The newfangled Yahoo page cycles through stories, so I clicked on a bunch of different tabs trying to go back to find out what this new revelation was in the Babar conspiracy. Or what the Babar conspiracy was for that matter. Seems like a pretty obscure reference to bring up all of a sudden. But I couldn't find it. I even went to the wikipedia page to check for anything current about a plot or conspiracy, but all I found under "Criticism" was postulation that the children's books could be seen as a justification for colonialism.

I know I just saw a Babar headline, dammit! Where did it go? This is gonna drive me nuts.

5 comments:

LL said...

Gonna drive you nuts? I think you've already driven there, and set up camp...

John said...

You'd think I would have found the story again by now. No such luck. I know I saw it, though.

Well played, Yahoo. Well played.

fakies said...

You didn't hear about the Babar conspiracy? Oh man, that was some crazy stuff. I can't believe you haven't been following it.

Jessica Biel was in Cellular. And Stealth. And Chuck & Larry's Big Gay Movie Starring Rob Schneider as an Asian.

John said...

Stealth = Evil Flight of the Navigator.

John said...

I never found it again. I hate not having closure.

Post a Comment